Appearing in "Z -- As in Zatanna -- and Zero Hour!"
- Robin (Flashback only)
- Beast-Men of Belphagor (Flashback only)
- Sword of Paracelsus (Flashback only)
- Bell, Book, & Candle
Synopsis for "Z -- As in Zatanna -- and Zero Hour!"
Zatanna has summoned Batman, Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman, and Elongated Man to the Justice League Headquarters in order to tell them that she had succeeded in finding her father, the magician Zatara, thanks to their help. However, all the heroes recall all their adventures with Zatanna as failures, and Batman has never met Zatanna at all, so far as he can remember.
She explains that she finally tracked down a way to travel to the magical realm which her father has been kept prisoner by the evil Allura. Summoning mystical duplicates of the Justice League members (and Elongated Man) she has encountered to help in her fight, she is unaware that she is being tricked into a trap. As she tells her story, Zatanna explains to Batman that they have met previously when she traveled to Gotham City and disguised herself as a witch who was then used by his foe the Outsider during one of his cases with Robin.
Zatanna keeps telling the story and informs them that Zatara, knowing that his daughter is approaching to their own doom, summoned his old foe Amen-Hotep, to create a distraction in order to keep Zatanna and her mystically created JLA members at bay while Zatara sends the good side of Allura to stop her evil half.
With Allura defeated, Zatara and Zatanna are finally reunited and they return to Earth. Finishing her story, Zatara appears and thanks the heroes gathered for helping his daughter free him.
- This book was first published on December 13, 1966.
- This issue is reprinted in Justice League of America Archives Vol 7.
- This is a chapter in "Zatanna's Search" for her father. The story arc is chronicled in: Hawkman #4, Detective Comics #336, Atom #19, Green Lantern (Volume 2) #42, Detective Comics #355 and ending in this issue, which makes references to all other chapters. This storyline is collected in JLA: Zatanna's Search.
- Zatara's "old foe" Amen-Hotep was last seen in Action Comics #5 (Oct 1938). That's pretty old.
- According to the statement of circulation published in this issue, the average total distribution of each issue during the preceding 12-months for this title was 408,549. The issue nearest to filing date had a total distribution of 457,658 (plus 225,342 copies spoiled, unaccounted for, or for office use -- that's 1/3 of its print run)!
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Justice League of America Vol 1 51 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Justice League of America series
- Images from Justice League of America Vol 1 51
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 2)
- Justice League of America (Volume 3)
- Justice League of America (Volume 4)
- Justice League of America (Volume 5)
- JLA (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 1)
- Justice League (Volume 2)
- Justice League (Volume 3)
- Justice League (Volume 4)
- Justice League International (Volume 1)
- Justice League International (Volume 2)
- Justice League International (Volume 3)
- Justice League Europe (Volume 1)
- Justice League America (Volume 1)
- Justice League Task Force (Volume 1)
- Justice League Quarterly (Volume 1)
- Justice League Dark (Volume 1)
- Extreme Justice (Volume 1)
- Justice League Elite (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Justice League article at Wikipedia
- Justice League page at DC Comics
- Justice League index at DCU Guide
- Justice League at Cosmic Teams
- Justice League page at Toonopedia