Kal-El was born in the dying planet Krypton and he was soon sent to Earth by his father Jor-El. On his journey, the Kal came across a big rock of Gold Kryptonite, which rendered him powerless. Upon landing on Earth, Kal was adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent and he was named Clark Kent.
In his high school years, Clark became good friends with Lex Luthor, who used some chemicals that gave him superpowers and soon he became Superboy. Around this time, Mr. and Mrs. Kent were murdered by a mugger, leaving young Clark an orphan. Clark was determined to fight the criminals for the rest of his life and he was inspired by a Bat. Clark was then adopted by his millionaire Uncle Kendall and taken to his mansion in Gotham City, but after Kendall's death, all the money was given to Clark, who used it to become the greatest crime fighter, Batman.
Years later, Lex and Clark met again when Lex was tasked to interview Clark as part of his job at the Daily Planet and he is accompanied by Lois Lane, who inmediately fell for Clark. As the reporters were leaving the Kent Manor, Lois was abducted by Brainiac and she was rescued by Batman and Superman.
After this encounter, Batman and Superman teamed-up in several occasions and Clark started a romantic relationship with Lois. Finally, Clark and Lois got married and during the honeymoon, Clark revealed both his and Lex's secrets as Batman and Superman.
Shortly after this, a spaceship landed on Earth and Supergirl came to Earth. She was first greeted by Lex, took her to the Kents, and she was given a secret identity as Linda Kent, Clark's cousin. Later, Superman, Batman and Supergirl stopped the Toyman, but during the encounter, Batman was exposed to a special ray gun from Toyman and he started dying from the effects of Gold Kryptonite. Lex finally deduces Clark's past, heritage and the accident that eliminated his powers. For this reason, he created a special machine that cured Clark by transferring Lex's powers to Clark and the the gold fever is turned on Lex. Clark recovered his Kryptonian powers and Lex turned human again, but he became a dangerous source of golden kryptonite radiation. For this reason, Lex decided to leave Earth on a special ship he built and Superman's legacy continued with Clark, who dropped the Mantle of the Bat and became the righteous Man of Steel.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Supermans can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Utility Belt (Formerly)
- This version of Superman, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Kal-El (Earth-167)
- 8 Images featuring Kal-El (Earth-167)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (Earth-167)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Earth-167)