When Superman lost his powers, he became inspired by Green Arrow and Speedy's lack of powers, and employed a glider-cape to fight crime with the secret identity of "The Nova". Batman and Robin investigate and found the truth about the ex-Superman. Batman tried to convince him to stop fighting crime, without success. Clark was convinced that he could perform good deeds as Batman and Green Arrow and he continued his crusade. Unfortunately, he couldn't come to hit crooks with all his strength as a force of habit and was subsequently captured by a criminal known as Mr. Socrates, who threatend to reveal Clark's secret identity and blackmailed him into fighting Batman.
Socrates used a special device that forced Superman to obey his commands and following his orders, the former super-hero attacked Batman and almost killed him. However, Batman got the upper hand in the fight and defeated Superman. After Clark was taken to the Batcave, he escaped and regained his consciousness, which allowed him to act by himself and used Jimmy Olsen's Signal Watch to jam the function of the mind-controlling device. Superman then joined Batman and Robin and defeated Socrates and his men. Finally, Clark decided to drop the Nova identity and return to his Superman one, with Batman and Robin training him.
- This version of Superman, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse saving all the alternate realities though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Kal-El (Earth-178)
- 6 Images featuring Kal-El (Earth-178)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (Earth-178)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Earth-178)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: