Superman, birth name Kal-El and adopted name Clark Kent, is Earth's premiere superhero and a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. His heroic legacy would live on to the 31th century and serve as the inspiration for Legion's founding.
Kal-El was born on the planet Krypton. When catastrophe threatened to destroy the planet, his parents sent him to Earth, where he was raised on a farm in Smallville by his foster mother Martha Kent. On Earth, Kal-El was provided with the human name Clark Kent. When Clark was a teenager, he encountered three super-heroes from the 31st century named the Legion of Super-Heroes. The Legion told Clark of their origins and that he was destined to become a great hero. They needed his help in the 31st century to stop an onslaught by a group of villains called the Fatal Five. Reluctantly, Clark agreed. When he arrived in the 31st century, he learned of his future legacy and that he was destined to become Earth's greatest champion Superman. Donning a red and blue costume, he joined the ranks of the Legion and helped to defeat the Fatal Five. At this stage in his life however, he was only just beginning to develop his super-powers and was still having difficulty adjusting to his new abilities, particularly flight. In short order however, he began to master his unique talents and became one of the Legion's most valued members.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Superman's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Expert Combatant: During combat situations, Superman makes use of an improvised fighting style that relies on overwhelming force and speed.
- Genius Level Intellect: Superman display an unusually high level of intelligence, maintaining a high degree of control over his powers, being an experienced tactician and scientist.
- Indomitable Will: Superman has shown to have a powerful spirit, free of corruption and temptation. Having been raised by a kindly Kansas farmer and his wife, he was taught to protect life and help others. He is very optimistic and never gives up, even when things look bad.
- Leadership: Superman has the ability to command respect and inspire others with his charisma, ardor, and idealism. Although he is not officially the leader of the Legion, his fellow heroes defer to his judgment, if only out of respect.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
Vulnerability to Red Sun Radiation: His powers come from the light of a yellow sun, but if he is forced under a red sun or solar radiation, he rapidly loses his superpowers.
- Legion Flight Ring: Although he doesn't require it, Superman wears a Legion Flight Ring. He does so as a tradition and a symbol of his commitment to the Legion, though it is beneficial in cases where he may not have access to his powers.
- This version of Superman is exclusive to the continuity of the Legion of Super-Heroes animated series and the Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century comic book adaptation.
- Superman was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.
- Although this version of the character is patterned after his younger alter ego Superboy, he has never been referred to by that code name in the animated series or comic book title. He has only been referred to as Superman. This is due in large measure to a law suit between Time Warner (owner of DC Comics) and the estate of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel over rights to the name Superboy. As the second season portrays Superman as an older, more mature hero, the term "Superboy" would be redundant.
- 37 Appearances of Kal-El (LSHAU)
- 5 Images featuring Kal-El (LSHAU)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kal-El (LSHAU)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (LSHAU)
Superman Family member
Legion of Super-Heroes member