- I am Kal-El of Krypton...and it is time to fulfill my destiny.
- -- Kal-El src
Clark Kent, otherwise known as Kal-El of Krypton, was launched off of the exploding planet Krypton by his father, Jor-El. After the planet's destruction, little Kal-El flew for approximately three years before landing on the inhabitable Earth. Found in Smallville by Martha and Jonathan Kent, Kal-El grew up on a farm under the name of Clark Kent. Clark would not find out where he really was from until age fourteen, informed by his adoptive father. At the age of fourteen, he already exhibits invulnerability, super strength and super speed. The first villain Clark would face was Jeremy Creek, a man who has seemingly not aged for years. Wielding the powers of electricity, even Clark had trouble defeating his first foe. But after a hard blow to his head, Jeremy was diagnosed with amnesia and was ready to start a new life.
Weeks later, Clark starts to develop X-Ray vision. He uses this to see through objects and reveal the obscured. Recently self-discovered meteor freak Tina Greer learns she possesses the power of shape-shifting. Using her amazing abilities to commit crimes under the persona of innocent people, the only way to identify her is her meteor rock-laced skeleton. Clark uses his astounding X-Ray vision to distinguish her from the rest of the crowd and defeat her.
One week later, Clark finds himself battling the meteor freak Sean Kelvin. Formally a normal jock, he fell into a frozen meteor rock-filled lake. Diagnosed with permanent hypothermia, he desperately looks for a suitable heat source. He tries fires and electricity, but the most suitable heat source is body heat. Clark later must blow off a date with the love of his life Lana Lang to save his best friend Chloe Sullivan from the menacing Sean Kelvin. After being pinned down by Sean, Clark uses his super-strength to launch him into a lake in which he freezes with his supernaturally-low body heat, freezing himself in it in the process.
Clark later meets an old woman named Cassandra Carver, who, with a mere touch, can see into people's future. She provides Clark with his fortune, which, unlike anyone else has ever been able to do, Clark sees it himself. Unfortunately for Clark, it shows him standing around the tombstones of everyone he loves, showing that Clark will live for a significant amount of time. Cassandra also sees Lex Luthor's future, which shows him in a field of flowers that all die, and the sky starts raining blood. It shows the horrible future to come for Clark's childhood best friend. Cassandra dies after seeing this.
Months later, a boy named Ryan James, who has the ability to read minds, escapes from his abusive step-parents whom use Ryan's power to assist them in their robbing. After his escape, he stays with the Kents, and they all treat him they would a member of their family. Clark gets to have the little brother he never had, but unfortunately for them, he cannot stay long. After a dangerous encounter with his former parents, Ryan goes to stay with his aunt. As the Kent's wave goodbye, Clark stands there, disappointed that his fraternal relationship with Ryan has come to an end.
Time passes, and it seems that Clark's freshman year at high school has come to an end. Clark takes his best friend Chloe Sullivan to a dance, who has had a deep love for him for a long time. Clark's friend Whitney Fordman is shipped off to the Marine Corps, and asks Clark to look after Lana which Clark agrees to. The aforementioned girl finds herself caught in a tornado, and the Last Son of Krypton comes to help. Clark courageously runs right into the tornado, and it lifts him up close enough to Lana that he is able to grasp her and save her. But as Clark later describes the encounter, it did not feel as if the tornado lifted him up, it felt as if he flew up.
Clark soon develops the ability of Heat vision after being sexually aroused when watching a sexual education video in the class of Desiree Atkins, a woman of many boys' fantasies. He eventually learns to control the Heat Vision, and it eventually becomes one of his most used powers. Lex Luthor asks Clark to be his best man to his wedding with Desiree Atkins, but it turns out she is using supernatural seduction methods to get access to Lex's great fortune.
Pete Ross, one of Clark's best friends, discovers Clark's spaceship in a field. Going against his parents' wishes, Clark reveals his secret to Pete. But after Pete gets scared at Clark's power, his loyalty to Clark is questioned. But after they discuss, Pete and Clark resume their friendship.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, The average Kryptonian possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of their super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Their biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and their bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kryptonians can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. Typically, the power is seen as two beams of red light emanating from the eyes. These beams can be made invisible, allowing the power to be undetectable. The maximum temperature of their heat vision is said to be around that of a nuclear detonation. They can also consciously determine the area affected, down to the microscopic level.
- Super-Hearing: Kryptonian hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill, practice, and concentration, they can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency. As such, they can identify a person by their heartbeat, or pick out a single voice in an entire city.
- Enhanced Vision Kryptonian vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kryptonians can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. They can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, they can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows them to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kryptonians can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. They can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kryptonians can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kryptonians are able to manipulate graviton particles, in an unknown and apparently unconscious manner, to defy the forces of gravity. Under one Earth gravity, they are capable of speeds of multi-Mach speeds in Earth's atmosphere. Their control of their flight is very precise and they can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.
- Invulnerability: The bodies of Kryptonians are nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, their immune systems protects them from toxins and diseases. The most common explanations for this rely on the presences of a super-dense molecular structure, a supercharged bio-electric aura which acts as an invisible force field, or a combination of the two. With the aura, it is presumed to extend a few millimeters from the skin as well as within the body. A byproduct of the aura is that items close to the skin share their invulnerability. Using clothing as an example, loose fitting fabric would tend to shred or burn in adverse conditions, but skin tight outfits would not.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kryptonians have the ability to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. In theory they have unlimited stamina as their enhanced nourishment is produced from the yellow solar energy their cells process, which also provides the majority of the power for their superhuman abilities. However, their base physical structures do need to process food stuffs and they have a psychological need to eat and drink just as Earth humans do. They also require sleep on occasion so that they can dream. They can also hold their breath for an indefinite period of time.
- Superhuman Strength: A Kryptonian develops enhanced physical strength after absorbing a sufficient amount of yellow solar radiation. This radiation interacts with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of their musculature to trigger superhuman levels. While the exact magnitude of their strength is unknown, it is generally accepted that it is sufficient to lift 100,000 tons or more. The specific range is unknown as a their strength, like their other powers, may fluctuate over time. Their strength is also more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables them to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass. At full power, their normal strength levels are well into the multi-megaton range.
- Superhuman Speed: Kryptonians are able to move at incredible speeds by sheer force of will. They can match most other speedsters in super-fast movements, reactions, and processes. They can use this power to disarm opponents without heightened reflexes, catch bullets or shrapnel or cross vast distances in seconds.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kryptonians are able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from their lungs. They can chill the air as it leaves their lungs to freeze targets in a variation sometimes called "freeze" or "arctic breath". They can also reverse the process and pull large volumes of air or vapor into their lungs.
- Vulnerability to Kryptonite
- Vulnerability to Magic
- Indomitable Will
- Multilingualism: Clark is able to speak English, Kryptonian, Hindi, French, Ape and Japanese and understand Russian.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Smallville and its tie-in and comic book series, Smallville and Smallville Season 11. It is an adaptation of Clark Kent/Superman. The original character was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and first appeared in Action Comics #1.
- Clark Kent was portrayed by actor Tom Welling in the WB/CW television series, Smallville. Younger versions of Clark were portrayed by Malkolm Alburquenque and Jackson Warris.
- For the portion of the episode "Transference" where Clark's mind was swapped into the body of Lionel Luthor, John Glover portrayed Clark.
- Clark won the 4-H State Fair Red Ribbon for his geological study of the caves. 
- Clark almost always wears red, white, yellow, or blue when dressed in street clothes an allusion to his future iconic red, yellow and blue uniform.
- Clark's first word was "Lara", his birth mother's name. He was named "Kal-El" by his Kryptonian cousin Kara. It means "star child" in Kryptonian.
- He was a good student and rarely missed school.
- Alcohol does not affect Clark, but he did not drink as a teen because his parents disapprove. However he and Lois Lane did go to have a "brew" after he turned 21.
- Clark was a member of the Philosophy Club, Astronomy Club, Computer Club, and the Key Club in high school.
- Clark's codename on Green Arrow's Hero Team is "Boy Scout".
- Clark "died" twice in the series.
- 268 Appearances of Kal-El (Smallville)
- 107 Images featuring Kal-El (Smallville)
- 6 Quotations by or about Kal-El (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Smallville)
- Superman at dccomics.com
- Clark Kent (Smallville) at Wikipedia.org
- Tom Welling at Wikipedia.org
- Tom Welling biography page at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|
Superman Family member
Daily Planet Staff member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."