Clark Luthor was found by Lionel Luthor in the cornfields after the 1989 meteor shower. Lionel raised him along with his adopted siblings, Lex Luthor and Tess Luthor. At some point later, Lex branded his forearm with the letter L using gold kryptonite. Clark eventually killed Lex and was in a romantic relationship with his adopted sister, Tess.
Clark Luthor was accidentally transported from his universe to Earth where he replaced Clark Kent. This was done after his counterpart unintentionally activated the mirror box, which had been willed to Tess Mercer on Earth-1 by her father Lionel Luthor. Clark Luthor arrived to Clark Kent's reality where he saw the 'S' symbol on the wall in red and knew that "this" world was different then his or "Lionel's," as he specified. He went to the Daily Planet to meet Tess, thinking that she was the Tess from Earth-2. Tess reacted quickly and played her 'role', and he told her that he wanted the box so he could destroy and conquer this world. He also acknowledged that in that universe, Lex had done something right by killing Lionel years ago. Tess summoned Lois Lane to Watchtower to explain her the situation but he attacked them, injuring Lois and threatening Tess to kill her if she refused to hand him over the box. Clark Kent, ultimately managed to get back to his universe, only to find himself surrounded by Tess, Lois and Oliver Queen all wielding kryptonite weapons. The Watchtower trio had been about to kill Clark Luthor when the mirror box was activated. Clark had warned Oliver to activate his kryptonite trap as soon as the mirror box was activated.
Clark Luthor later returned, using the mirror box that was still left in his world to transport himself back to Earth-1. However, due to the lack of a second mirror box, he did not switch places with Clark Kent. To rectify this, he ambushed Kent in his barn and transported him to Earth-2 while he now remained, destroying the mirror box in hopes of staying permanently. Clark Luthor then took up Clark Kent's identity and visited both Lois and Tess who caught on that this was not their Clark and that Luthor had returned. Having dinner with Tess at the Ace of Clubs, he tried to persuade her that all he wanted was a second chance and to get that, the two of them would have to kill Lionel. At LuthorCorp Plaza, Tess betrayed Clark and he hung her out the window, prepared to drop her out much like Lex Luthor had done to Lionel Luthor on Earth-1.
Clark Kent rescued Tess, having escaped from Earth-2 and the two Clarks clashed, the battle leading to the Fortress where Kent tried to bring out the good in his counterpart, telling him that there was still good in him and that now that Lionel was no longer on Earth-2, Clark Luthor could go back there and be its hero if he allowed Jor-El to teach him how. Clark Luthor agreed, finding redemption and his second chance, the Fortress of Solitude transporting him back to his home where he was greeted by Jor-El, ready to begin a new life.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Clark Luthor possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Clark Luthor's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Clark Luthor can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Clark Luthor' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Clark Luthor's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Clark Luthor can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Clark Luthor's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. this ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Clark Luthor's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Clark Luthor is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Clark Luthor is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Clark Luthor is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Clark Luthor's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Clark Luthor is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Clark Luthor is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Clark Luthor possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Clark Luthor was played by the actor Tom Welling, who also played Clark Kent.
- 4 Appearances of Kal-El (Smallville Earth-2)
- 1 Images featuring Kal-El (Smallville Earth-2)
- Quotations by or about Kal-El (Smallville Earth-2)
- Character Gallery: Kal-El (Smallville Earth-2)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."