This project page needs to be cleaned up.
This article needs maintenance and organization, as it may have become cluttered or confusing. Its heart is in a good place, it's just a little special. Won't you please help out an article in need? This template will categorize articles that include it into the Clean Up task category.
- "Faster than a speeding tachyon, more powerful than the gravitational pull of a collapsing star, able to leap from world to world in a single bound." That’s what they say about me.
- -- Kal Kent src
Kal Kent is the distant descendant of Superman and the leader of Justice Legion Alpha. In the 853rd Century, the progenitor of the Superman Dynasty, Kal-El, was about to return from his solar Fortress of Solitude after several centuries. As part of the festivities, the Justice Legion Alpha (Kal Kent included) went back in time to recruit the ancient Justice League of America. The current Legion had counterparts to the League except for Green Lantern (they had the future Starman instead). After arriving at the end of the 20th century, Kal Kent and the Justice Legion convinced the League to go the future and participate in trials as part of the celebration. Before they left, Kal helped Superman stop a Belle Reve prison riot; during this incident he referenced fighting the Chronovore with the 'Superman Squad'.
Following the League's departure, Hourman released the "Hourman virus" which infected not only people, but technology. It was revealed that the virus was Solaris' artificial intelligence in its infancy. The virus was spreading because Solaris was looking in all technology and organisms for its body. To cure the world and save it from Solaris, they had to create Solaris. Once in his body, Solaris became self aware, with his intelligence increasing with every passing second. Starman sacrificed himself but he was able to banish Solaris by creating a black hole. Their time machine didn't have enough power for deep time travel, but Superman was able to punch through the time barrier to bring the Legion back to the 853rd century. They arrive in time for Superman to help Green Lantern contain Solaris' supernova detonation, and to witness Superman-Prime's arrival and the final destruction of the tyrant star.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kal Kent possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kal Kent's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kal Kent can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kal Kent' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Kal Kent's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kal Kent can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kal Kent's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kal Kent's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kal Kent is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kal Kent is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kal Kent is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kal Kent's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kal Kent is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kal Kent is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Alien Bloodlines: Due to various alien/extradimensional beings marrying into the Superman Dynasty (including a 5th dimensional princess in the 67th century), Kal Kent has additional powers not native to his Kryptonian or terran heritage, such as super ESP, force vision, telepathy, electromagnetic manipulation and an additional 10 senses, as well as a super-intellect on a scale allowing him to calculate billions of scenarios simultaneously.
- Super-Solar Enhancement: Kal Kent's powers have been massively enhanced due to a pact with the incredibly powerful Superman Prime granting him the power of the solar system's enhanced Super-Sun: they appear on par with the vastly powerful Superman of Earth-One. His only viewed limitation is that he is incapable of holding back an entire rampaging galaxy with his force-vision unaided, requiring the aid of Titano, Superman of the Gorilla Galaxy.
Kal has been stated to be, at minimum, more powerful than the gravitational pull of a collapsing star.
Kal Kent's powers are entirely tied to the Super-Sun, and his abilities will drain in a matter of days when separated from it: overexerting himself when isolated from its empowering rays can kill him.
- A virtually identical counterpart to Kal Kent appears in All-Star Superman #6, one who engages in a battle with the Chronovore alongside the Superman Squad--a battle apparently similar to one engaged in by the Kal Kent in the DC One Million timeline. The only notable differences of the Kal Kent of the All-Star Superman timeline from the one of DC One Million are that his hair is noticeably shorter, and that he claims to have been born 851 thousand years in the future rather than 851 centuries (though it is possible this was a simple mistake, as later printings of the book corrected other mentions of his time period to be in the 853rd century rather than the 8530rd). It is also possible that this is the same Kal Kent, with the Superman Squad operating in multiple realities.
- 29 Appearances of Kal Kent (DC One Million)
- 10 Images featuring Kal Kent (DC One Million)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kal Kent (DC One Million)
- Character Gallery: Kal Kent (DC One Million)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|DC One Million Character |
This character was created during DC One Million, and is a part of its possible future in the 853rd Century. DC One Million was a massive company-wide crossover event published in 1998.
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.