|Real Name||Kalel (birth), Calvin Ellis (legal name)|
|Relatives||Jorel (father, deceased), Lara (mother, deceased), Unnamed adoptive father, Unnamed adoptive mother|
|Affiliation||Justice League, formerly Supermen of the Multiverse|
|Base Of Operations||White House; Fort Superman; Metropolis|
|Occupation||Adventurer; President of the United States|
|Place of Birth||Vathlo Island, Krypton|
|Creators||Grant Morrison, Tom Nguyen|
In a faraway star system, an ancient civilization died, leaving barely a trace of its passing. That world was called Krypton, and greatest of all its mighty cities was the science-capital Jandra-La on Vathlo Island in the green Dandahu Ocean.
It was there, as the planet was ripped apart in a cataclysm, that two desperate scientists named Jorel and Lara sent their race's only survivor, their son Kalel, in a rocket across the gulfs of space with little more than a prayer.
After a time the last son of Krypton came to planet Earth. Adopted by a poor but kindly couple, the last Kryptonian became a strong and proud man. Now, disguised as the President of the United States, Kalel fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, liberty and equality as Superman.
Curse of Superman
After fighting a particularly easy battle with his nemesis, Lex Luthor, Kalel realizes that Luthor served only to distract him from his true hidden possession, the Transmatter Sonic Array. As soon as Superman finds this device, three humans barrel out from its entrance. One of them dies, another lies motionless, and the third fires a Kryptonite laser at Superman, but it has no effect. Superman disarms the woman and asks about her situation.
She tells him that her name is Lois Lane, and that she's on the run from a monster. She reveals that she's from an alternate universe where this monster was their Superman. Soon enough, the monster bursts through the portal device and attacks Superman. With the help of Lois and an unconventional ally in Lex Luthor, they defeat the monster and send him back through the portal, seemingly tearing him to shreds.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Superman's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Superman's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. this ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Superman is strongly based on real-life President Barack Obama (as confirmed by writer Grant Morrison).
- Despite being a Superman, Kalel wasn't affected by Kryptonite when attacked by the woman from the Superdoom universe. However, Pre-Flashpoint, Kryptonite was shown to only affect Kryptonians from the same universe, and the same appears to apply to the Post-Flashpoint multiverse. This could explain why he was unaffected, and he may still be affected by Kryptonite from his own universe. 
- 4 Appearances of Kalel (Earth 23)
- 4 Images featuring Kalel (Earth 23)
- 1 Quotations by or about Kalel (Earth 23)
- Character Gallery: Kalel (Earth 23)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
Superman Family member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.