Kalibak is the first-born son of Darkseid and Suli. His mother Suli is killed by Desaad, acting under orders from Kalibak's grandmother Queen Heggra. Kalibak becomes a legendary warrior, and often serves as Darkseid's second-in-command. After Darkseid breaks the pact of peace with New Genesis, the rival planet of Kalibak's home Apokolips, he aids his father in the resulting battles.
Kalibak is often pitted against Orion, and after numerous clashes they learned that they were half-brothers. This fuels Kalibak's hatred of Orion to new levels, for Darkseid clearly values Orion over his first-born.
At one point, Kalibak is desperate enough to confront Orion without Darkseid's consent. Kalibak's scheme fell apart, and he kills his accomplice Desaad, also a servant of Darkseid, to cover his tracks. Darkseid was not pleased when he finds out, and he reduces his son to a pile of ash. After enough time had passed Darkseid resurrects Kalibak, hoping the boy had learned a lesson.
Kalibak later spends some time in an Apokolips prison, on Darkseid's orders. Darkseid is on Earth when Orion invades Apokolips. Justeen, a servant of Desaad, releases Kalibak to battle Orion yet again. Kalibak is swiftly subdued, but doesn't care much as Orion leaves to battle Darkseid and Kalibak hopes to gain power as a result.
During the universe-wide Genesis incident, Apokolips forces, including Kalibak, invade Earth. In issue #5 of the series Young Heroes in Love, the team leader battles and defeats Kalibak and his small squad of Parademons.
During the Final Crisis, Kalibak was reborn in a human body along with the rest of the New Gods of Apokolips. Once the Evil Factory resumed its work, Kalibak was given a new tiger-man body, and an army of tiger warriors to serve as his personal force. During the superheroes assault on Bludhaven, Kalibak lead his tiger-men in the defense of Command-D, battling Tawky Tawny of the Marvel Family. He managed to beat Tawny to unconciousness, but was distracted when Shazam called the lightning down on Mary Marvel, who was possessed by Desaad. The distraction allowed Tawny to regain conciouness and slash Kalibak across the chest, mortally wounding the New God. Kalibak ordered his tiger-soliders to help him, but they refused, saying only the strong lead.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
New God Physiology: These New Gods have evolved due to their close proximity to the Source, a primeaval energy, believed to be one of the ultimate foundations of the Universal Expression of Energy, along with their superior technology, into beings of genetic stability and evolutionary perfection. The denizens of New Genesis are stronger, faster, and smarter than homo sapiens, despite their resemblance to the same.
- Immortality: The New Gods, is functionally immortal, having ceased aging physically near the age of 30. Unless they fall in battle, they are immune to the ravages of time, and could easily live for thousands upon thousands of years.
- Invulnerability: They are resistant to blunt trauma like punches, kicks, and blows from weapons like bats and maces, though not -completely- immune; unless the blows a dealt by a being with similar or greater strength, there just isn't a chance of injury. However, this invulnerability does not extend to bullets, laser-blasts, or other piercing/slicing weapons - their invulnerability is more akin to that of an Amazon, rather than a Kryptonian.
- Superhuman Strength: As a New God is naturally greater than that of a human man or woman of their (approximate) build and stature who engages in regular intensive exercise, their exposure to the Generation Matrix enhanced that twenty-fold. Kalibak is highly exceptional among the New Gods and his physical strength is roughly equal to that of Superman. At a point in time Darkseid enhanced his strength to the point where he could outmatch the likes of Orion.
- Superhuman Stamina: New God stamina and endurance is nothing short of amazing. Due to the naturally exhausting and extensive rigors of their life on Apokolips or Stamina training on New Genesis, a New God is able to manage their stamina on a certain amount of rest and sustenance (more than minimal) so that it seems they are able to constantly function, though this is not entirely the case. Tied directly to their strength and invulnerability, even their immunity to a certain extent; They can actually function at peak efficiency for almost a month before needing to eat and rest off the stress.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Like all New Gods, they have a highly developed nervous system. Their reaction speed and eye-hand coordination is superior to a normal human's. They can move fast enough dodge a bullet before the gun fires and react with blinding speed.
- Superhuman Immunity/Healing Factor: New Gods has an extremely evolved immune system. It explains how some are able to survive on Apokolips for years without dying of a dozen diseases and toxins. He has developed immunity to a number of toxins and diseases. In addition, if Kalibak were to somehow become injured, his superhuman New God metabolism would allow him to heal in no time. It would take an injury of such magnitude that it dispersed a large portion of his body's molecules to truely bring Kalibak to the brink of death, and even then it is possible that he could be resurrected by his father Darkseid.
- Psi-Beams (Possibly Formerly):After being enhanced by his father Darkseid. Kalibak gained the ability to fire potent psionic blasts from his mind to disorient or induce intense mental pain in his adversaries. it is unknown if he can still utilize this ability.
Master Combatant: a powerful brawler and hand-to-hand combatant-trained from birth in the warrior traditions of Apokolips.
Well above the 100 ton level-as the first scion of Darkseid, Kalibak possesses physical strength comparable to that of his father, and has demonstrated this Superman-level strength on numerous occasions.
Radion: New Gods are vulnerable to a substance called Radion. It source is unknown and its effects are toxic only in sustained amounts or after explosive exposure. The average New God can be slain by an application of Radion from a Radion blaster or bomb. More advanced beings such as Mister Miracle, protected by their mother box, armor and sheer toughness, have been known to take two hits and survive. Radion, must be hard to come by, because if it was not, Darkseid would obviously equip more of his troops with it. Perhaps it requires the mysterious Element X to create it.
- Beta Club: a weapon that fires force bolts or nerve beams that causes living beings agonizing pain. It is nearly invulnerable, though Orion once damaged it.
- Forever People (Volume 1)
- Forever People (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 2)
- New Gods (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 4)
- Orion (Volume 1)
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Volume 1)
- Death of the New Gods
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus
- 73 Appearances of Kalibak (New Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Kalibak (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Kalibak (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Kalibak (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."