This evil version of Supergirl was a veritable phantasm, culled from the recesses of Supergirl's subconscious mind. Lex Luthor had acquired an upgraded version of his battlesuit from Darkseid. Forged in the Fire Pits of Apokolips, this particular armor was weaponized with multi-colored Kryptonite energy projectors housed within its gauntlets. Luthor knew that by using a Black Kryptonite energy ray, he could possibly corrupt Supergirl, bending her will to his own.
Luthor and Supergirl fought against each other in Monument Valley, Utah. He exposed Supergirl to the Black Kryptonite ray, but rather than corrupting her as he had expected, the ray actually generated a second, darker Supergirl.
This evil Supergirl possessed all of the normal Supergirl's memories and powers. As it turned out however, Supergirl's own memories were warped due to prolonged Kryptonite poisoning, and as such, her doppelgänger suffered from the same inaccurate, maladjusted memories. She believed that Supergirl's father, Zor-El, had sent her to Earth on a secret mission to kill her cousin, Superman. The evil Supergirl, completely embracing her Kryptonian heritage, sought to fulfill this psychic programming and was not inhibited by her counterpart's strong moral psyche.
The evil Supergirl fought against Lex Luthor, ultimately flying him to the moon and smashing him through the walls of the Justice League Watchtower. At this point, she encountered the Justice League and was able to take each of them down one by one. Using super-speed, she snatched John Stewart's Green Lantern Ring from his finger before he could use it against her, then slammed him into a wall. She made short work of both Black Canary and Hawkman. The Flash attempted to subdue her by wrapping her up with a length of strong cable, but Supergirl zoomed off across the surface of the moon and the Flash gave chase. The Flash realized only too late that he could not withstand the atmosphere of the moon, and Supergirl was able to take him down. By this point in the battle, Lex Luthor had found a way to escape her clutches.
The real Supergirl, having recovered from Luthor's attack, tracked her double to the moon and engaged her in combat. Their battle ultimately brought them back to Earth and to the waterfront district of Gotham City. While the two Supergirls fought with one another, the heavy hitters of the JLA, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman arrived to reconcile the situation. The evil Supergirl sowed confusion by switching costumes with her progenitor at super-speed. Now, nobody could tell who was the real Supergirl and who was the evil one. Batman was able to keep them both at bay with the help of his Kryptonite Ring, and Wonder Woman managed to bind them both together with the Lasso of Truth. Demanding to know who the real Kara Zor-El was, the mystical power of the lasso merged both Supergirls back together and the evil Supergirl ceased to exist as a singular entity.
A long while later, during a Justice League mission, Supergirl was subjected to Omega Man's power and turned into Dark Supergirl. However, that version of Dark Supergirl was bratty, self-centered and obnoxious, but not really evil. Kara appeared to use that persona like a mask to run away from her past trauma.
Doctor Fate diagnosed Supergirl suffered from a severe case of survivor guilt and PTDS, and "Dark Supergirl" was a physical manifestation from her psychological trauma, which was literally crushing her. Then Nelson tells if Kara wants to survive, she has to forgive herself and accept that she is blameless for the destruction of Krypton and New Krypton and the deaths of her parents.
Kara followed his advice, and her "Dark Supergirl" identity gradually faded once again.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Kara's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Kara can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Kara' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Kara's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Kara can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Kara's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Kara's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Kara is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Kara is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kara is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Kara's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Kara is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Kara is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Kara possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Dark Supergirl has unusually crystal blue eyes, an eye color which is not found on Earth. But her eye color is common among Kryptonians.
- 10 Appearances of Kara Zor-El II (New Earth)
- 15 Images featuring Kara Zor-El II (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Kara Zor-El II (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Kara Zor-El II (New Earth)
- Supergirl at dccomics.com
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at Wikipedia.org
- Supergirl at the Superman Wiki
- Supergirl at Supermanica
- Supergirl at Superman Rebirth Wiki
- Supergirl at Smallville Wiki
- Supergirl at Arrow Wiki
- Supergirl Comic Box Commentary
- Supergirl at TVTropes
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."