Karsta Wor-Ul is a Kryptonian soldier that settled on Earth. Decades before Krypton exploded, it was the center of a mighty interstellar empire. Kryptonian soldiers, empowered by yellow suns and equipped with incredible technology, pushed all foes before them. In this force was the young Karsta Wor-Ul. However, debate on Krypton was not kind: ultimately, it was decided that the power of empire (and the yellow suns) was detrimental to moral fiber. The Military Council was voted out in favor of the Science Council, and the troops were recalled. However, Karsta and a few of her fellow soldiers refused to return, and went AWOL, making a living as space pirates and renegades.
When the news reached her of Krypton's fate, she was devastated, but she had found a partner by this time, and the company of the other Kryptonian survivors was enough for her. But the period of Kryptonian expansion had made enemies, and the Kryptonian survivors were hunted ruthlessly. Karsta herself lost her husband and many friends to a series of ambushes, most notably by a pirate called Amalak.
Eventually, after years of running, she settled on Earth, reasoning that any anti-Kryptonian ambushers would target Superman first, giving her the opportunity to make an escape. However, she was found by the Auctioneer's scanners and eventually tracked down by Superman when Kryptonian plants grown in her garden made their way into the hands of kids who gained super powers upon eating them.
When Amalak came to Earth shortly after, her initial response was to flee. However, when she saw Superman's courage, she relented, came back and assisted in defeating Amalak. She was last seen carrying Amalak and his servants to the interstellar authorities, knowing that she might be arrested for her piratical past, but willing to risk it to see justice done.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Karsta possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Karsta's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Karsta can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Karsta's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Karsta's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Karsta can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Karstas can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Karsta can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Karsta is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Karsta is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Karsta is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Karsta's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Karsta is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Karsta is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Karsta possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Karsta's powers may be diminished as she is no longer in her physical prime.
- 3 Appearances of Karsta Wor-Ul (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Karsta Wor-Ul (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Karsta Wor-Ul (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Karsta Wor-Ul (New Earth)
Superman Family member