Katar Hol was a police officer from the planet Thanagar sent to Earth to capture the criminal Byth Rok. Having become intrigued by the planet, he returned to Earth to study human police methods, along with his wife, Shayera. On Earth, he adopted the secret identity of Carter Hall, curator of the Midway City Museum, and as the hero Hawkman, became a member of the Justice League of America. When Thanagar became a military dictatorship and attempted to invade Earth, the Hols sided with their adoptive world and turned against their own people, thwarting the invasion and destroying their own starship in the process, effectively stranding themselves on Earth.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Alien Physiology: As a Thanagarian, Katar Hol possesses several gifts that are common to members of his race, but set him apart from normal humans. A Thanagarian's life span is significantly greater than that of a normal human being. In the prime of his life, Katar was actually older than many of Earth's senior citizens.  A Thanagarian is also physically heartier than the average Earth human. They are stronger, with greater stamina and a greater resistance to pain. Thanagarians also possess enhanced senses.
- Enhanced Vision: Katar's eyesight is more acute than a normal human and his range of vision is similar to that of a bird.
- Enhanced Hearing: His auditory senses are also particularly acute and he can perceive sounds with greater clarity than the average human.
- Master Combatant: Katar Hol is an expert at hand-to-hand combat and employs a wide range of weaponry as part of his crime-fighting arsenal.
- Archery: A talent that Katar rarely employs, but nonetheless he is considered an expert in the field of archery. Though his skill with a bow and arrow is impeccable, his precision is nowhere near as accurate as that of fellow Justice League Green Arrow. 
- Historiography: Through the use of the Absorbascon, as well as the resources available to him at the Midway City Museum, Katar Hol is an expert in many of Earth's cultures, particularly those pertaining to medieval Europe and the Roman Empire.
- Multilingualism: Through the use of the Absorbascon, Katar Hol is fluent in many Earth languages. His unique physiology also enables him to verbally communicate with birds.
Above Average: Katar Hol is several times stronger than a normal human in Earth gravity, though his strength levels are not necessarily superhuman.
Katar employs a variety of medieval weaponry which he borrows from the Midway City Museum. Among his favored items are a Kris a Mace, a Katar, a Retarius and a Cestus. Though not particularly his weapon of choice, Katar has also been known to use a bow and arrow and is an expert in the field of archery.
This version of Katar Hol was removed from continuity following the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths and is now regarded as the pre-Crisis Katar Hol. Much of his history, including his membership of the Justice League and his antagonistic relationship with Green Arrow was subsequently attributed to Carter Hall, the original Hawkman. A new version of Katar Hol was introduced in the limited series Hawkworld. Since the Earth One Katar and his wife were not actually rebooted by the Crisis but continued to be in continuity for around three years though, some continuity problems arose which necessitated the creation of a stand-in Hawkman, Fel Andar.
- 412 Appearances of Katar Hol (Earth-One)
- 50 Images featuring Katar Hol (Earth-One)
- 7 Quotations by or about Katar Hol (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Katar Hol (Earth-One)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.