Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Katar Hol was a young police officer (or 'Wingman') from the planet Thanagar, the son of Paran Katar, who helped found the Wingmen. Hol was unhappy with the injustices he saw in Thanagarian culture and became a drug addict before being tricked by his corrupt superior Byth Rok into killing his own father. Hol was sentenced to a period of exile on the Isle of Chance, where he defeated his inner demons and overcame his addiction, before returning to society, exposing Byth and clearing his name. Reinstated into the police, Hol was partnered with Shayera Thal and the pair were sent to Earth as goodwill ambassadors following the failed Invasion of Earth in which Thanagar had participated. Operating out of Chicago, they adopted the costumed identities of the then vanished heroes Hawkman and Hawkwoman, eventually encountering the originals when they reappeared. Katar eventually learned that his father had befriended the original Hawks, Carter and Shiera Hall, when on Earth gathering intelligence decades ago, and that the Wingmen had been inspired by them. Katar also learned that he himself was of mixed heritage; his mother had been a Cherokee woman named Naomi with whom Paran had fallen in love.
Following the events of Zero Hour, Katar was somehow physically and mentally merged with the Halls to create a new being, a Hawkman who was a living avatar of an extradimensional Hawk God (though Katar's was the dominant personality). Unfortunately, without Shayera (who had departed for parts unknown) to restrain him, the transformation was too much for Katar and it drove him insane. He became a danger to Earth and was eventually banished to Limbo by the Martian Manhunter and the mage Arion. Carter Hall later returned from Limbo in a rejuvenated form which had darker hair, like Katar's; the soul of Katar Hol is believed to have dissipated in Limbo.
- Thanagarian Physiology: As a Thanagarian, Katar Hol possesses several gifts that are common to members of his race, but set him apart from normal humans. A Thanagarian's life span is significantly greater than that of a normal human being. In the prime of his life, Katar was actually older than many of Earth's senior citizens. A Thanagarian is also physically heartier than the average Earth human. They are stronger, with greater stamina and a greater resistance to pain. Thanagarians also possess enhanced senses.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Katar Hol is an expert at hand-to-hand combat and employs a wide range of weaponry as part of his crime-fighting arsenal.
- Historiography: Through the use of the Absorbascon, as well as the resources available to him at the Midway City Museum, Katar Hol is an expert in many of Earth's cultures, particularly those pertaining to medieval Europe and the Roman Empire.
- Multilingualism: Through the use of the Absorbascon, Katar Hol is fluent in many Earth languages. His unique physiology also enables him to verbally communicate with birds.
- Katar Hol was for a short time a member of the Justice League of America, following in the footsteps of his illustrious predecessor.
- 134 Appearances of Katar Hol (New Earth)
- 36 Images featuring Katar Hol (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Katar Hol (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Katar Hol (New Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.