By age 25, Kathy Webb was an underground film director, a poet, and something of a wild child. But when she met Nathan Kane, he bought her a circus, and she fell head-over-heels in love with him. They were together for seven years before he died of a stroke. After this, she was approached by a secret organization called Spyral to find the Batman's secret identity.
Assessing the information on the Caped Crusader, she decided the best approach was to make him chase her. To that end, she brushed up on detective skills, martial arts and motor-biking, got a costume and started calling herself Batwoman. Her plan worked, and within a few months they were an item.
However, Batman was careful not to give her his secret identity, and in fact worked out hers first. This, coupled with her feelings for Batman, lead her to try and break off ties with Spyral. However, her employer, the mysterious Agent-Zero, turned the tables on her, forcing her to break off on both sides, which she did.
She was believed to be killed by the Bronze Tiger on behalf of the League of Assassins. The second Batwoman investigated the murder, but could not find anything. That was because she was never killed; after a staged death, she worked behind the scenes with Spyral to stop Leviathan. She eventually succeeded in shooting Talia al Ghul during her final standoff with Batman, before claiming that she would not be meeting Batman again, leaving to continue leading Spyral.
Katherine Webb Kane is the New Earth counterpart of Katherine Kane (Earth-One) and Katherine Kane (Earth-Two), and replaces her in any stories and references to the original since the Crisis on Two Earths. She was first named in Batman Incorporated #4, though appeared earlier.
- She was first mentioned as killed by Bronze Tiger in Suicide Squad #38. That was based on the Earth-One version of events, and did not identify her as Batwoman, only as a socialite named Kathy Kane.
- Bette Kane mentioned her "Aunt Kathy" as alive in Beast Boy #3. It is unclear if was retconned into being Kate Kane (her cousin) or Catherine Hamilton Kane (her step-aunt).
- She first appeared in hallucinations during Batman R.I.P..
- Kathy married Nathan the year Batman became active in Gotham City.
- Katherine is, by marriage, an aunt of Bruce Wayne. This did not stop her in any way from pursuing a romantic relationship with him.
- 8 Appearances of Katherine Webb (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Katherine Webb (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Katherine Webb (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Katherine Webb (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: