Kimda was a scientist who lived in the capital city of Kandor on the planet, Krypton. When he was younger, he attended college with fellow science student, Jor-El, and the two developed a close friendship.
Years ago, the alien conqueror known as |Brainiac arrived on Krypton in his space saucer and used his Hyper-Ray to shrink the city of Kandor in size, so that it could be fitted inside of a large bottle. It was Brainiac's intention to steal metropolitan cities and transplant them to his home world of Colu, where he would establish himself as their rightful leader. Kimda was but one of several thousand Kandorians to be swept up in Brainiac's Hyper-Ray.
Some time later, Brainiac attempted to add several Earth cities to his collection. Among them was the city of Metropolis – home of Superman. Superman allowed himself to be captured and shrunken, so that he could find a way past the Ultra-Force Shield protecting Brainiac's ship.
Once inside the ship, he broke free of the bottle containing Metropolis and began exploring the rest of the vessel. He eventually came upon one bottled city with its stopper removed. Inside he discovered the lost city of Kandor. However, as Kandor's artificial environment was designed for Kryptonian physiology –Superman lost all of his super-powers, so long as he remained under their red sun. Brainiac replaced the stopper over Kandor, and then placed himself into suspended animation – ready for a long trip back to Colu.
By this point, Kimda was now an aging Professor of science, who had been trapped inside of Brainiac's ship for many years. He agreed to help Superman stop Brainiac and provided him with a one-man rocket ship that he could use in place of his lost powers of flight. He likewise provided him a Metal-Eating Mole, an extinct animal indigenous to Krypton. With the rocket and the mole, Superman was able to break free of Kandor's super-glass walls.
While Brainiac slept, the Mote of Steel reversed the effects of the Hyper-Ray returning many of the stolen cities back to Earth. After doing so, Superman realized that there was only enough charge left on the Hyper-Ray for one more use. He decided to use it on Kandor rather than on himself. Professor Kimda realized that Earth needed a Superman, and rather than allow the Man of Steel to sacrifice himself, he piloted a rocket ship into the Hyper-Ray machine. The energy hit Superman returning him to normal size.
Superman took Professor Kimda and the rest of the shrunken citizens of Kandor back to his Fortress of Solitude on Earth. Kimda lived with his fellow Kandorians for many years inside the Fortress, until the day came when Kandor was returned to normal size and relocated to the planetoid known as Rokyn. Professor Kimda's actions during that time, and whether he is even still are alive have yet to be revealed.
Kimda did not possess any superhuman powers while living under a red sun. Had he lived on a world revolving around a yellow sun, he would have developed physical attributes similar to that of Superman.
- Robotic Engineering: Kimda was skilled in many areas of advanced technology, including robotics and aerospace design
Kimda possessed the average strength level of an elderly Kryptonian living under a red sun.
- This version of Kimda, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 3 Appearances of Kimda (Earth-One)
- Images featuring Kimda (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Kimda (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Kimda (Earth-One)
- Kimda at dccomics.com
- Kimda at Wikipedia.org
- Professor Kimda's first appearance at Superman Through the Ages