Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Dr. Kirk Langstrom is the inventor of the infamous Man-Bat Serum, a special formula that has the ability to turn the user into a hideous bat monster. Though he originally created it to help the deaf and blind, because of its temporary side effects, multiple people have taken advantage of it, including Langstrom, himself, often in the name of vigilantism. However, because the user becomes almost feral with its use, Langstrom has acted as both an ally and enemy to Batman.
While Batman and the other Leaguers were incapacitated by the Crime Syndicate, leaving Gotham without a vigilante to keep its criminals in check, Langstrom succumbed to his addiction to his Man-Bat formula to combat both his maniacal wife and the thugs that were taking the streets. However, Man-Bat began to lose his mind from prolonged usage and resorted to acting as a feral monster himself, with no body to stop him. 
Meanwhile, the super villains of both Arkham Asylum and Blackgate Penitentiary began to go to war with each other over who would get the privilege to rule Gotham City, appropriately dubbed "the Arkham War." Man-Bat, using his serum to create more monsters like himself, joined forces with the Arkhamites under Scarecrow's leadership.  The war was eventually lost to Bane and his forces, and Batman returned to restore order within the city.
Overcoming his addiction for the time being, Langstrom started working at the prestigious Gotham private school Gotham Academy as a biology teacher, putting his skills with science to better use.
- Drug Addiction: Langstrom, after sacrificing himself to save the 900, became addicted to his Man-Bat serum, waiting until his wife was asleep each night to take the formula. Langstrom fought his addiction and regretted anything he did in his Man-Bat state but that wouldn't stop him from using the serum when needed.
- Robert "Kirk" Langstrom was created by Frank Robbins and Neal Adams, first appearing in Detective Comics #400. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Robert "Kirk" Langstrom first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Detective Comics (Volume 2) #19 by John Layman and Jason Fabok.
- 35 Appearances of Kirk Langstrom (Prime Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Kirk Langstrom (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Kirk Langstrom (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Kirk Langstrom (Prime Earth)