Komand'r was born the eldest child of Tamaran's royal family. The first princess born in over a hundred years, she should have been courted and showered with honors. On the day she was born the Citadel Empire attacked and destroyed the western Tamaranean city of Kysarr, killing three thousand citizens in her name. Though she was in no way at fault for what had happened Komand'r was for all time inextricably linked with that terrible day. To make matters worse, Komand'r had been stricken with a childhood illness that left her unable to harness ultraviolet light to fly as most Tamaraneans did. Komand'r grew up hated by the Tamaran population, who denied her birthright and refused to allow her to be the next Princess of Tamaran. All of her privileges, honors, and celebration were later given to her younger sister, Koriand'r (who would later become known as heroine Starfire). Komand'r's rage grew inward, and whenever she could, her hatred for her planet was focused on her hapless sister.
Komand'r's rivalry continued and intensified when the siblings were sent for combat training with the Warlords of Okaara. Things came to a head during a sparring exercise in which Komand'r attempted to kill her sister. As a result, she was expelled. Komand'r swore vengeance and joined the Citadel, quickly rising through their ranks to becoming a traitor against her own planet. Komand'r later betrayed her planet with detailed information about Tamaran's defenses to the the Citadel. They conquered Tamaran with ease, and the surrender conditions included the enslavement of Koriand'r. Koriand'r was also never permitted to return to Tamaran, since it would mean the Citadel would devastate the planet for Tamaran's abrogation of the treaty.
Komand'r was made her sister's master and made the most of the bondage with years of horrific servitude and torture. When Kory killed one of her rapists, Komand'r decided to execute her as punishment, but before getting the chance, the sisters were attacked and captured by the Psions. The Psions, largely a species of sadistic reptilian scientists, performed a deadly experiment on both of the sisters to see how much energy their Tamaranian physiologies could absorb before exploding from the overload. Before the procedure could be completed, Komand'r's Citadel forces attacked the Psion ship to rescue her. While the Psions were distracted, Kory broke free with starbolts, destructive blasts of solar energy directed from her hands, which were a result of the Psions' experimentation. Against her better judgment, she decided to free Komand'r, who was still absorbing energy. However, far from grateful, Komand'r struck her sister down with the same (but more intensified) starbolts and had her restrained for later execution. Kory escaped and stole a space ship to escape to planet Earth, where she met a young group of heroes and helped form the New Teen Titans.
- Tamaranean Solar Absorption: Blackfire's alien physiology constantly absorbs ultraviolet radiation and converts it to energy. She can then channel this energy as destructive blasts called "starbolts".
- Power Limitation: Unlike her sister (and most other Tamaraneans), Blackfire does not possess the ability to fly, though she has compensated for this limitation through scientific means
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Appearances of Komand'r (New Earth)
- Images featuring Komand'r (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Komand'r (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Komand'r (New Earth)
- Blackfire at dccomics.com
- Blackfire at Wikipedia.org
- Blackfire article at Wikipedia
- Blackfire profile at Titans Tower
- Blackfire chronology index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Teen Titans, the Titans, or any of the other various Titans incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Titans Villains" category.