Customarily on Krypton, children are raised in a birthing matrix separate from their parents until a certain age is reached. The scientist Jor-El, believing Krypton was doomed, redesigned the chamber for interstellar travel capabilities, and equipped it with a hyper-light drive. It was used to send the Last Son of Krypton, young Kal-El to the planet Earth before Krypton exploded. The craft landed in Smallville, where it was discovered by Jonathan and Martha Kent.
- The Kryptonian Birthing Matrix plays an interesting role in an Armageddon 2001 possible future in which Superman runs for President of the United States. As it is an actual birthing device, and not simply used for transportation, it is determined that Superman is legally a natural born citizen of the United States, and thus eligible for election.
- In Superman: Red Son, the Kryptonian Birthing Matrix lands 12 hours later than it was supposed to, and as a result Superman is raised in Communist Russia.
- In the animated film Justice League: Gods and Monsters, General Zod stops Jor-El before he can implant his DNA in the Matrix, using his own instead. Due to that and other differences (including another foster family), the movie's version of Superman is much more ruthless than usual, although still largely benevolent.
- Appearances of Kryptonian Birthing Matrix
- Item Gallery: Kryptonian Birthing Matrix
- Images featuring Kryptonian Birthing Matrix
Links and References