|Real Name||Lana Lang|
|Current Alias||Lana Lang|
|Aliases||Insect Queen; Gravity Girl; The Wisp: Sky Girl|
|Relatives||Lewis Lang (father); Sarah Lang (mother); Ronald Lang (brother); Larry Lang (brother); Alvin Lang (brother); Professor Phineas Potter (uncle); Horton (uncle; first name unknown); Unnamed husband (divorced); Unnamed son (deceased); Lorac-K7 (descendant)|
|Affiliation||Daily Planet; Galaxy Communications|
|Base Of Operations||Metropolis; formerly Smallville|
|Occupation||Former reporter for the Daily Planet; former anchorwoman for WMET-TV; former anchorwoman for WGBS-TV|
|Unusual Features||As the Insect Queen, Lana developed physical characteristics similar to that of an insect.|
|Place of Birth||Smallville|
|Creators||Bill Finger, John Sikela|
|First Appearance||Last appearance|
Lana Lang was born and raised on a farm in the midwestern Kansas town of Smallville. During her teenage years, she met her next-door neighbor, Clark Kent, and developed an instant infatuation with him. Her interest in Clark was matched only by her affection towards the local super-hero, Superboy. Lana spent a large portion of her high school years obsessing over Superboy, and she labored intensively to discover his secret identity. One day Lana rescued an insect-like alien trapped by a fallen tree in Smallville. In gratitude, the alien gave her a "bio-genetic" ring which allowed Lana to gain insect (and insect-like, such as arachnids) characteristics.
After being given a Bio-Genetic ring by the aliens, Lana created a yellow honeybee-like costume and mask and adopted the codename Insect Queen who occasionally appeared as the crime-fighter. She had various adventures with Superboy and became an honorary member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. By the time she left Smallville to enter college, she had yet to learn Superboy's greatest secret. She would later become a rival of Lois Lane for the affection of Superman, and co-anchor the WGBS-TV newscasts with Clark Kent.Lana affection for Superman began to drift away and became romantically linked to the alien super-hero Vartox. Lana and Clark Kent became romantically involved in stories prior to the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Lana Lang does not possess any inherent super-powers. However, with the Bio-Genetic ring she possesses these superhuman abilities: Flight, Superhuman Strength, Superhuman Speed, Superhuman Agility and heightened senses.
- Metamorphosis: As the Insect Queen, Lana possessed the ability to shapeshift into any arthropod lifeform, including insects from alien worlds.
- Journalism: Lana Lang is a professional media journalist and television celebrity. Despite her keen intuitive instincts however, she never discovered the secret behind Superman's true identity.
Bio-Genetic ring (which transforms her into the Insect Queen).
- This version of Lana Lang, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Although the general populace of Earth is aware of Lana's contributions to the Daily Planet, they are not privy to the fact that she was once the Insect Queen.
- Lana's genealogy is revealed in Superboy #146:
- Like many characters among Superman's supporting cast, Lana's name is an alliteration. Other characters sharing the double "L" intials include: Lex Luthor, Lewis Lang; Lois Lane, Lori Lemaris and Lucy Lane.
- As an adult, Lana had a penchant for referring to others as "Luv".
- 393 Appearances of Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- 17 Images featuring Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Lana Lang (Earth-One)
- Lana Lang at dccomics.com
- Lana Lang at Wikipedia.org
- Lana Lang at Supermanica
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XI
- Hero History: The Honorary Legionnaires, or "What A Difference A Few Decades Make..."', by Matthew Peterson, at Major Spoilers.com
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: