"Last Days Of The Justice Society": Following the Crisis On Infinite Earths, the remaining surviving members of the Justice Society along with Sandman's partner Sandy and [[Carter Hall (New Earth)|Hawkma
Appearing in "Last Days Of The Justice Society"
- Batman (Earth-Two) (Flashback only)
- Doctor Fate
- Doctor Mid-Nite
- Green Lantern (Earth-Two)
- Huntress (Flashback only)
- Johnny Thunder
- Hawkman (Earth-Two)
- Mister Terrific (Flashback only)
- Power Girl
- Robin (Earth-Two) (Flashback only)
- Sandman (Earth-Two)
- Sandy the Golden Boy
- Spectre (Jim Corrigan)
- Star-Spangled Kid
- Superman (Earth-Two) (Flashback only)
- Wonder Woman (Flashback only)
- Yz, the Thunderbolt
- Eva Braun (Dies)
- Blue Beetle (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Blue Devil (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Captain Atom (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Catwoman (Earth-Two) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Eleanor Roosevelt (Flashback only)
- General Steve Trevor (Earth-Two) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Infinity, Inc.
- John Stewart/Green Lantern (Earth-One) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Lois Lane Kent (Earth-Two) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Mzzttexxal/Thunderbolt (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Nightshade (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- President Harry S. Truman (Flashback only)
- The Question (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Robin (Earth-One) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Sandman (Earth-One) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Superboy-Prime (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Vigilante (Earth-One) (Flashback only) (Cameo)
- Freedom Fighters
- Justice League Of America
- Marvel Family
- Teen Titans
Synopsis for "Last Days Of The Justice Society"
Following the Crisis On Infinite Earths, the remaining surviving members of the Justice Society along with Sandman's partner Sandy and Hawkman's wife Hawkgirl gather in the estate of Carter Hall in a funeral service for Helena Wayne and the Earth-Two Dick Grayson, whom they knew became the Huntress and the Earth-Two Robin. They also realize that, with the merging of the Earth universes to form one single universe with one Earth on which most of the surviving superheroes from those universes now coexist, their own team has become redundant and past their time. Earth-Two Hawkman calls for the Justice Society to be immediately disbanded when the Spectre appears unto them, crying out in pain before he collapses. Dr. Fate touches the Spectre and is immediately flooded with images of something that took place in 1945, something that is far different from what the rest of the Justice Society team that was active at the time remembers:
- On the day of Franklin D. Roosevelt's funeral, the Justice Society sees a rip in the sky, which they surmise is another reality trying to enter into theirs. The members with the power of flight attempt to fly into the rip to investigate, but they are soon repelled. The Spectre reveals that the point of origin of the "rip in the sky" is from Germany, which makes the team as well as President Harry S. Truman realize that Adolf Hitler has a powerful mystical weapon that he intends to use not only against the Allied troops, but also against the whole world. The Justice Society travels as far as they dare outside the limits of the Sphere of Influence, then bravely enter into that zone without Superman and all superheroes with magic-based powers, only to be picked off one by one by Nazi troops as they enter into the bunker where Adolf Hitler is using the Ancient Spear of Destiny. Though Hawkman survives long enough to confront Hitler, it is too late: fire pours into the room and devours its inhabitants, then it spreads throughout the whole Earth, devouring everything on it and the planet itself, until nothing remains.
After revealing this alternate history to the Justice Society members of the present time, Dr. Fate shows them that the "rip in the sky" is now over them at this point in time: what Hitler had done in 1945 with the Ancient Spear of Destiny is now coursing its way through time. Dr. Fate now transports the team back in time to 1945, to the point where they see that Hitler has started using the Spear to cause a worldwide catastrophe, and he reveals that Hitler has tapped into the power of the Spectre, while he was lying dormant following his confrontation with the Anti-Monitor, to make the catastrophe happen. Dr. Fate takes the heroes to the world of Asgard, the home of the Nordic gods, also revealing that Hitler has linked the fate of their Ragnarok, the "twilight of the gods", to that of the universe.
Knowing that the only way to keep Hitler's linkage of the Ragnarok to the universe's destruction from taking place is to change the course of the Ragnarok's outcome, Dr. Fate merges the members of the Justice Society along with Sandy and Hawkgirl with the Nordic gods who are out to battle the demons come to destroy them. Team members Flash, Johnny Thunder, Green Lantern, Starman, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Wildcat perish in the battle, but as the Justice Society prevails until there is only Surtur the fiery demon left to battle, the perished team members are brought back to life and they all join together for the defeat of Surtur -- everyone except for Power Girl and the Star-Spangled Kid, who have been purposely withdrawn by Dr. Fate from this confrontation. As the Justice Society defeats Surtur, Power Girl and Star-Spangled Kid see that the whole battle is starting all over. Dr. Fate reveals that the battle must be repeated over and over in order to protect the universe from the intended fate of the Ragnarok. He transports them out of Asgard and back to the Hall Estate in the present time, then is soon transported there by the Spectre who now joins with his Master. Dr. Fate now informs the members of Infinity, Inc. what has transpired.
As the course of the Ragnarok is changed, Hitler sees that his plans to destroy the world have been defeated. He eventually marries his mistress Eva Braun and they retreat into their underground suite, where they both poison themselves and commit suicide.
- Reprinted in Last Days of the Justice Society of America.
- This is the last time we see the Justice Society members except for Power Girl, Star-Spangled Kid, Spectre, and Dr. Fate participate in any present-day stories in the New Earth reality until 1992. They remain locked in the Ragnarok battle until the time of Armageddon: Inferno #3-4, when they are replaced by Abraxis' "daemen". The story was originally intended to be a retirement of using the Justice Society in present-day stories, with the focus shifting on their continued Golden Age adventures in Young All-Stars and those of their original Earth-Two successor group Infinity, Inc.
- This story is also briefly recapped in Armageddon: Inferno #3, though instead of the Spectre being laid low by his confrontation at the Dawn of Time with the Anti-Monitor in Crisis on Infinite Earths #10, he was struck by the Ancient Spear of Destiny thrown by Kobra as he attempted to steal it from a museum.
- As for what happened to the four surviving heroes of the Justice Society:
- Power Girl becomes independent for a few years before she joins the Justice League teams in the 1990s. She rejoins the Justice Society in the 2000s, learning that her post-Crisis history of being born the granddaughter of the Atlantean sorcerer Arion was a lie. She also briefly reunited with her Earth-Two cousin Kal-L during the events of the Infinite Crisis until he died at the hands of Superboy-Prime.
- Star-Spangled Kid adopts the new identity of Skyman and continues as the leader of Infinity, Inc. until his death at the hands of Injustice Unlimited.
- Dr. Fate gathers up heroes to deal with Glorious Godfrey during Darkseid's Operation Humiliation and becomes a member of the Justice League, dealing with a "change of personnel" during his time with the League. He rejoins the Justice Society during the time of Zero Hour, where Kent and Inza Nelson would perish at the hands of Extant. The mantle of Dr. Fate is later passed on to a resurrected Hector Hall who becomes a member of the Justice Society.
- The Spectre returns to active duty as a superhero, mostly going independent and going through changes in abilities as well as "changes in personnel", switching from Jim Corrigan to Hal Jordan to his present host Crispus Allen.
- The bodies of both the Huntress and the Earth-Two Robin were claimed to never have been found at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths #12.
- Hawkgirl and Sandy the Golden Boy participate with the group in this story, though at the time they were not officially members of the Justice Society.
- Infinity Inc. #30 deals with the members of that team mourning the disappearance of the Justice Society in this story. Prior to this, in issue #27, Brainwave Jr. helps ease the suffering of Lyta Trevor remembering her pre-Crisis past of being the daughter of the Golden Age/Earth-Two Wonder Woman by erasing her memories of such.
- Though the story happens after the Crisis On Infinite Earths, there are still pre-Crisis elements in it, particularly in the 1945 flashback sequences where we still see the Golden Age versions of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman among the gathered Justice Society heroes present. The "sweeping effects" of the Crisis have not yet taken hold at this point, and in the 1940s do not take hold until Mekanique releases them in All-Star Squadron #60.
- The Spectre mentions an event that he took part in in Swamp Thing (Volume 2) #50.
- Dr. Fate removed Star-Spangled Kid and Power Girl from the fight because they were young. For some reason, likely editorial, Sandy the Golden Boy, who was also young, was not similarly spared.
- During the battle, a caption mentions Canadian forces taking "Arnhem, Belgium", and American forces marching up to the Zuider Zee River. Arnhem is in the Netherlands, and there is no Zuider Zee River - the Zuiderzee was a bay.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Last Days of the Justice Society Special Vol 1 1 on the forums
Links and References
- Justice Society of America article at Wikipedia
- JSA Checklist
- JSA Chronology page
- JSA series index at DCU Guide
- JSA series index at Comicbookdb.com
- JSA series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
- Justice Society Fact File
- Justice Society Index at Dark Mark's Indexing Domain
- Justice Society of America at TV Tropes