Laurel Gand was a Daxamite superheroine, and a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. She is descended from the 20th Century hero Valor. As a Daxamite, she gains superhuman powers and abilities from being near a yellow sun, rendering her a vastly above average combatant. Laurel first appeared as a side-effect of the time-altering Glorith recreating the universe in her own image.
As a child Laurel lived with her parents on one of the orbiting space stations that, amongst other things, served a line of defense against invasion. Her mother, the station commander, insisted that Laurel know how to operate the station's weapons, training that proved critical when the Khunds attacked. Laurel was able to activate the defenses, utterly destroying the Khundian fleet and earning her both their fear and their enmity. She was declared an enemy of the Khundish empire. To ensure her safety, she was given a secret identity and sent to Earth where her Daxamite physiology would help protect her. Shortly afterward, she was invited to join the fledgling Legion of Super-Heroes.
Laurel's career in the Legion was long-lived and successful, and during her tenure, she even began a relationship with and eventually married long-time Legion ally Rond Vidar. The two of them had a daughter, which they named Lauren. After sustaining massive injuries from a battle against Khunds, she died and was buried along with all of the other dead Legionnaires on Shanghalla. Shortly afterwards, she was erased from history entirely during Zero Hour.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Daxamite Physiology: Laurel has got powers that are native to all Daxamites if they were in a solar system with a yellow sun, similar to Kryptonians.
- Legion Flight Ring: All Legionnaires were presented with a flight ring that enabled them to defy gravity and sustain movement through the air by aerodynamically generating force.
- Legion Space Suit: As a Legionnaire they use an insulated space suit that wore overtop of their costume for missions that required her to operate in the vacuum of outer space.
- Legion Flight Belt: Prior to the creation of the anti-gravity metal of which the Rings are made, the Legion used Flight Belts.
- In the Glorithverse continuity, Andromeda essentially replaced Supergirl in continuity. Wherever Supergirl had made an appearance, now Laurel was there instead. She was erased from history following Zero Hour.
- In 2007, the original incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes reappeared during the Lightning Saga. Laurel is not a member of this group, as they branched off around the Crisis on Infinite Earths, before her creation.
- Before a cure was found, Laurel's had to stay in the Phantom Zone, without a corporal body, in order to stay alive. She was only ever able to exit the Zone permanently after Brainiac 5 invented an "anti-lead serum".
- 38 Appearances of Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 3 Images featuring Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 1 Quotations by or about Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
Legion of Super-Heroes member