Laurel Gand was a Daxamite superheroine and a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes. She and her cousin Eltro Gand are descended from Del Gand, the older brother of 20th Century hero Valor. As a Daxamite, she gains superhuman powers and abilities from being near a yellow sun, rendering her a vastly above average combatant. Laurel first appeared as a side effect of the time-altering Glorith recreating the universe in her own image.</ref> Laurel's parents' names were Lauren Gand and Zavrel Kama.
As a child, Laurel lived with her parents on one of the orbiting space stations that, among other things, served as a line of defense against invasion. Her mother, the station commander, insisted that Laurel know how to operate the station's weapons, training that proved critical when the Khunds attacked. Laurel was able to activate the defenses, utterly destroying the Khundian fleet and earning her both their fear and their enmity. She was declared an enemy of the Khundish empire. To ensure her safety, she was given a secret identity and sent to Earth where her Daxamite physiology would help protect her. Shortly afterward, she was invited to join the fledgling Legion of Super-Heroes.
Laurel's career in the Legion was long-lived and successful, and during her tenure, she even began a relationship with and eventually married long-time Legion ally Rond Vidar. The two of them had a daughter, whom they named Lauren. After sustaining massive injuries from a battle against Khunds, she died, and was buried along with all of the other dead Legionnaires on Shanghalla. A doppelganger of hers survived and was a member of the Legionnaires. Shortly afterward, both were erased from history entirely due to Parallax altering the timeline.
- Daxamite Physiology: Laurel has powers that are native to all Daxamites if they were in a solar system with a yellow sun, similar to Kryptonians.
Vulnerability to Lead: A Daxamite's major weakness is a vulnerability to lead, which does not exist on their planet. Any exposure to lead causes pain and weakness permanently, even after she is taken to safety. Her vision cannot melt or penetrate lead.
- Legion Flight Ring: All Legionnaires are provided with a flight ring that enabled them to sustain movement through the air by manipulating gravity.
- Legion Flight Belt: Prior to the creation of the anti-gravity metal of which the Rings are made, the Legion used Flight Belts.
- In the Glorithverse continuity, Andromeda essentially replaced Supergirl in continuity. Wherever Supergirl had made an appearance, now Laurel was there instead. She was erased from history following Zero Hour.
- In 2007, the original incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes reappeared during The Lightning Saga. Laurel is not a member of this group, as they branched off around the Crisis on Infinite Earths, before her creation.
- Andromeda made a last appearance during Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds when Saturn Girl summoned Legionnaires from every possible timeline to take down the Time Trapper.
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 2)
- Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
- Legion Lost (Volume 1)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 5)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 6)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 7)
- Legion Worlds (Volume 1)
- Legionnaires (Volume 1)
- Superboy (Volume 1)
- Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes
- The Legion (Volume 1)
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- 42 Appearances of Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 3 Images featuring Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 1 Quotations by or about Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Laurel Gand (Pre-Zero Hour)
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #5
- ↑ Who's Who In The DC Universe Vol 2 2
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #9
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #57
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #59
- ↑ Legionnaires #17
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #61
- ↑ Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #47
- ↑ Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #5
Legion of Super-Heroes member