- Inspired by the Legend of Superman, teenagers from across the universe journeyed to Earth to form a Super-Team unlike any other in history. Representing Diversity, Unity and Tolerance, they protect all planets and all races of the 31st Century as the Legion of Super-Heroes.
The Legion of Super-Heroes is a team of super-powered individuals from a number of different alien worlds, active in the 30th Century. They protect the United Planets from crime and injustice, as well as threats both internal and external.
The Legion was founded when three teenagers of different races spontaneously came together to thwart the attempted assassination of a galactic billionaire, R.J. Brande. Financed by Brande, Rokk Krinn of Braal, Garth Ranzz of Winath and Imra Ardeen of Titan would become respectively Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl, in a super-powered club Brande dubbed the Legion of Super-Heroes. Although they were initially met with disapproval and skepticism when announced, the Legion's discipline, integrity and strict adherence to their own self-published constitution proved their value and merits. They were deputized by the Science Police, and became a legitimate branch of law enforcement. As their credibility grew, so did their ranks. Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl, and Luornu Durgo of Cargg auditioned for and joined the team, as Phantom Girl and Triplicate Girl. Their numbers continued to grow with Reep Daggle of Durla, Chameleon Boy, Gim Allon of Mars, Colossal Boy and Lyle Norg of Earth, Invisible Kid joining next.
The Legion had their first brush with Time Travel during a conflict between the Metropolis' Time Institute and the Guardians of the Universe. Attempting to stop scientists from trying to view the beginning of time, several Green Lanterns were sent to destroy the institute. One of them, Vidar went rogue and almost killed both himself and the Legionnaires trying to view the beginning of time for himself. The Legion developed a working relationship with the Institute, including scientists such as Circadia Senius, and Querl Dox of Colu, Brainiac 5. When Brainiac 5 joined the Legion as well, he brought with him technology like the Time Bubble, which the Legion could use to travel to any point in history they felt like. On their maiden voyage, Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl traveled to 20th Century Smallville to meet the hero who had inspired them in the first place, Superboy. Superboy was put through a short trial, and became the Legion's tenth member.
Legion of Super-Heroes continuity note: Following the Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1986, the original Legion ran consistently until End of an Era. Zero Hour discontinued these stories and introduced the Reboot Legion in 1994. They would return to continuity following Infinite Crisis in 2006 in a divergent timeline splitting after the first Crisis, rendering all interregnum stories non-canon.
Five Years Later
- See also: Five Years Later
Five years after the conclusion of the Magic Wars, the Legion has disbanded under pressure from the aggressive government of Earthgov. The economy has collapsed, the Earth has been taken over by Dominators and seceded from the United Planets, and the universe is in general disarray. It is under these circumstances that Reep Daggle deems it necessary to create a new Legion with the help of Rokk Krinn, who lost his magnetic powers in the war between Imsk and Braal due to an injury inflicted on him by the Legionnaire once known as Shrinking Violet. The team is reunited fairly quickly, with old members such as Lightning Lass and Ultra Boy, as well as new ones like Kono.
The machinations of the Time Trapper soon come into play, as Mon-El confronts him, resulting in a temporary rewriting of history where Mordru became the ruler of the universe due to the lack of opposition from the Time Trapper. Mordru's wife, Glorith, takes the place of the Time Trapper, largely restoring the previous time continuum..
After a successful mission to save Mysa Nal from Mordru, the newly reformed Legion confronts Roxxas, who recently murdered Blok. This battle also reunites them with Dawnstar, now possessed by the Bounty entity, and displaces Jo Nah through time.
- Legion Flight Ring: All Legionnaires were presented with a flight ring that enabled them to defy gravity and sustain movement through the air by aerodynamically generating force.
- Legion Flight Belt: Prior to the creation of the anti-gravity metal of which the Rings are made, the Legion used Flight Belts.
- Legion Space Suit: as a Legionairte they use an insulated space suit that wore overtop of their costume for missions that required her to operate in the vacuum of outer space.
- LX-811 Star Cruiser: The LX-811 is a star cruiser commonly used by the Legionnaires for off-planet missions.
- Mark 494 Star Cruiser: The Mark 494 is a smaller space cruiser than the LX-88 and was commonly used by members of the Science Police, but was also used by Legionnaires on occasion as well.
- Legion Time Bubble: For missions which involved traveling backwards through time.
Weapons: None known.
- As if Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds it has been confirmed that this Legion belongs to the future of New Earth, with the other two major Legions belonging to Earth-Prime and the non-existent Earth-247 respectively.
- No trivia.
- 645 Appearances of Legion of Super-Heroes (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 101 Images that include Legion of Super-Heroes (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Team Gallery: Legion of Super-Heroes (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Legion of Super-Heroes (Pre-Zero Hour)
Links and References
- Legion of Super-Heroes (1958 team)
- Legion of Super-Heroes article at Memory Beta, the licensed Star Trek publication Wikia.
- Legion of Super-Heroes at Wikipedia.org
- Legion of Super-Heroes Wiki
- Legion of Super-Heroes Online Companion
- Legion of Super-Heroes Reference File
- Major Spoiler's Hero History Collection
- Legion of Super-Heroes Clubhouse
- Legion of Super-Heroes index at Cosmic Teams
- Legion of Super-Heroes at TV Tropes
- Legion of Super-Links
- Legion Online
- Website devoted to the Silver Age Legion
- A Highly Selective (and Shamelessly Biased) Retrospective of the All-Time Coolest Moments in the History of the Silver Age LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES from Unca Cheeks the Toy Wonder's Silver Age Comics Web Site!