Lemuel Gulliver was born in Nottinghamshire, England in the 17th century. As an adult, he studied for three years at Emmanuel College in Cambridge before embarking upon a career as a medical assistant to a prominent English physician. After his apprenticeship, Gulliver spent four years at the University of Leiden where upon he became a successful surgeon himself.
Near the turn of the century, Gulliver turned his sights towards sailing and he became the captain of a ship. In 1699, Gulliver embarked upon a voyage whereupon he was shipwrecked on the mysterious land known as Lilliput. There, he encountered a race of inhabitants who were only six inches tall.
In 1787, an aging Lemuel Gulliver became a member of an exclusive menagerie of adventurers known as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He worked alongside such notable personages as Doctor Syn, Percy and Marguerite Blakeney, Mistress Hill and Natty Bumppo. Gulliver's likeness (along with those of the other League members) is represented in a painting located in the secret League annex at the British Museum.
- Lemuel Gulliver is a fictional adventurer created by author Jonathan Swift and first featured in the 1726 novel Gulliver's Travels. It is fair to assume that the comic book version of Gulliver shares the same history as that of his literary counterpart. To date, no material has been provided which directly challenges the original source material.
- An incomplete adaptation of Gulliver's Travels by Walt Kelly appeared in New Comics #1-2.
- Appearances of Lemuel Gulliver (Earth-ABC)
- Images featuring Lemuel Gulliver (Earth-ABC)
- Quotations by or about Lemuel Gulliver (Earth-ABC)
- Character Gallery: Lemuel Gulliver (Earth-ABC)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: