Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
While leading the Rogues, Leonard grew increasingly frustrated that their high-tech weaponry was not enough to prevent the Flash from thwarting their every attempt at crime. After a failed robbery, Leonard angrily pinned the blame on the Trickster and fired him from the team; his frustration and guilt over the issue drove him to drinking. After a sloppy attempt at a robbery from which the other Rogues had to save him, Leonard received an invitation from Dr. Darwin Elias that would make him powerful enough to stop the Flash in his tracks.
The Rogues placed their themed weapons into Elias' genome recoding device, and fused their DNA with the weapons. While Leonard was imbued with the power of Cryokinesis, his sister was not so lucky. She was separated from her body into an astral form. Her real body was left comatose, and afflicted with a malignant brain tumor. Naturally, Leonard blamed himself - as did Lisa's boyfriend Sam, who was trapped within the Mirror World as a result of the experiment. They decided, then, to disband the team.
After the Flash caused an EMP blast that rendered the Gem Cities without power, Leonard learned that the hospital caring for Lisa would not have enough reserve energy to power the laser that could save her from her cancer. Seeking revenge against the Flash, Leonard decided to eschew the Rogues' rules and kill him. Hoping to get the Flash's attention, Captain Cold froze the river between the Gem Cities.  Leonard learned that his powers backfired if he got wet and inadvertently encased himself in ice, from which the Flash extracted him. When he learned of the reason for Captain Cold's attack, the Flash promised to do all he could to help. The hero created a battery powered by Speed Force energy to power the laser, saving Lisa's life.
Despite that, Lisa was not as grateful as he expected, and went behind his back to reunite the Rogues as their new leader, the Golden Glider. They boxed him out of a train heist, an in anger, Captain Cold turned to the Flash for help in fighting the new Rogues. However, once Leonard came face to face with his sister again, he turned on the Flash and rejoined the Rogues, just in time to witness the beginning of a gorilla invasion.
Realizing that an invasion of war-like, talking gorillas was not their forté, Captain Cold woke the Flash from unconsciousness and admitted that despite having only just double-crossed him, the Rogues would have to ally with the Flash to keep their city safe. While the Flash sought out the leader of the gorillas, the Rogues turned to saving civilians from gorilla pillagers.  Despite bickering between Leonard and Lisa as to who the real leader of the Rogues was, they formed a plan to send the attacking gorillas and their buses into the Mirror World. Unbeknownst to them, that plan resulted in the creation of the Reverse-Flash. Once the Flash had defeated Grodd, the Rogues returned the civilians to their homes.
After yet another heist was thwarted because their plan had put too many lives at risk - and the Rogues' insistence on sparing lives persisted, even under Lisa's leadership - they decided to go to a bar. After the fallout, the Rogues revealed to Leonard that none of them had ever forgiven him for forcing their powers on them, and he decided that with Lisa so deep in her coma as to be unable to project herself anymore, he would disband the Rogues.
Again, drunkenly attempting to commit the same robbery that they had failed to complete earlier, the Rogues returned to prevent Leonard from getting caught thanks to his foolish behaviour. Finally, he admitted his guilt and apologized, and though they were still angry, the Rogues insisted that they must stick together for Lisa's sake and that Captain Cold should be their leader if Lisa could not. Leonard's first decision as leader was to break the Trickster out of prison, believing in the theory that "once a Rogue, always a Rogue". However, when they arrived at Iron Heights, the prison was opened up by a mysterious speedster who proclaimed that the Justice League was dead and that villains could walk the Earth. 
With their city practically destroyed by the return of the gorillas, Leonard's main concern was for the safety of his sister. After freeing the police force, proving themselves as anything but killers, they fought their way to the hospital, and discovered that there was no indication that she would recover from her coma any time soon. Unsure of what to do, they found themselves called outside by members of the Crime Syndicate, who were annoyed by their insubordination.
In their fight with Deathstorm, Captain Cold learned that his opponent had the ability to recode DNA, and found his powers removed as the villain separated his DNA from that of his cold gun. Powerless, the Rogues pulled him into the Mirror World, but Sam Scudder's powers were not working properly either, and they were thrown in separate directions. Leonard found himself in another city entirely, and warned the other Rogues that they were to protect Lisa. In the meantime, he would join forces with Lex Luthor, who shared the same goal of undermining the Crime Syndicate's invasion. 
With a coalition of other villains rebelling against the Crime Syndicate's new anarchic law, Cold and the "Injustice League" sought to regain control of their world and bring back the Justice League. When cornered by Johnny Quick during the final gambit on the Syndicate, Cold surprised the speedster by shooting him in the leg, freezing his leg to absolute zero and destroying it. Once the rest of the Syndicate was defeated, the Justice League returned, and Captain Cold and the Injustice League were celebrated as the heroes they were.
Lex Luthor's Justice League
- Cryokinesis (formerly): Snart, and the Rogues, gave their weapons to Dr. Elias in order to fuse their DNA with their weapons. Doing so gave Leonard the ability to generate, control and stop molecular motion through ice & cold. Later, Snart had his enhanced DNA ripped from him by Deathstorm.
- Mechanical Engineering: Snart is capable of fabricating a weaponized cold-engine. He stole the original engine and its plans and took two months taking it apart and putting it back together again until he could do it with his eyes closed.  He is able to rebuild his Freeze Gun in under 32 minutes with items from a common appliance store.
- Captain Cold's Snow Goggles: Minimize the flashes of energy given off by his guns within his field of vision.
- Cold Gun: Captain Cold's standard weapon is a gun that slows the atoms of the target to a halt, causing them to not simply become extremely cold but freeze near dead in their tracks while in motion, rather than actually shooting ice and freezing the target directly. Cold was temporarily fused with his weapon, giving him the power of ice manipulatrion, but lost his powers when Deathstorm ripped them from his DNA. Snart returned to using his Cold Gun soon after.
- 60 Appearances of Leonard Snart (Prime Earth)
- 23 Images featuring Leonard Snart (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Leonard Snart (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Leonard Snart (Prime Earth)
- Captain Cold at dccomics.com
- Captain Cold at Wikipedia.org
- Leonard Snart (Prime Earth) at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
- ↑ Flash Annual (Volume 4) #1
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #6
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #7
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #12
- ↑ Flash Annual (Volume 4) #1
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #13
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #14
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #15, Flash (Volume 4) #16
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #23.2: Reverse-Flash
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #17
- ↑ Flash (Volume 4) #23.3: The Rogues
- ↑ Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #1
- ↑ Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #2
- ↑ Forever Evil #3
- ↑ Forever Evil #4
- ↑ Forever Evil #3
- ↑ Forever Evil #6
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
Injustice League member