Lesla-Lar was one of the many Kryptonians living in the bottle city of Kandor, located in Superman's Fortress of Solitude. A brilliant scientist, she soon grew to be jealous of Supergirl's heroics on Earth and began harboring criminal aspirations. She would build a device that stripped Supergirl of her powers via a Kryptonite ray. She would use this device on the very day that Superman decided it was time to reveal Supergirl to the world. Unaware of Lesla-Lar's involvement, Supergirl would retire to her Linda Lee identity. Lesla-Lar's involvement in this would eventually lead to Supergirl being adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers, who would raise Supergirl for the next few years and later share her secret identity. 
The next phase of her plan involved taking Supergirl's place and starting criminal operations on Earth. Building another device, she would use it to switch places with Supergirl. Transporting Supergirl to Earth, and mentally conditioning her to believe she was Lesla-Lar and continue her every day activities, while Lar would take her place on Earth. 
On Earth, like any Kryptonian, Lesla-Lar would gain super-powers akin to Superman and others. Right after arriving on Earth, she would make contact with Lex Luthor, who was in prison at the time. Stealing him away and replacing him with a dummy, the two would succeed in stealing a large sum of money before Lesla-Lar put Luthor back in his cell to avoid any suspicion. The two would agree to work together in the future. However, Lesla-Lar would be forced to return to Kandor when Supergirl (still thinking she was Lesla) witnessed the evil "Supergirls" activities on Earth and was about to report her. Whenever Lesla-Lar and Supergirl switched places, Supergirl would have vague, if any memories of the experience.
Realizing the best way to operate as criminals would be to have a "good" Supergirl operating in the public eye, while secretly aiding Luthor in his criminal endeavors, Lesla-Lar began her next plot. Switching places with Supergirl once more, she would ask Luthor to come up with a way to make a Kryptonite Ray that they could use against Superman. She would come up with a "cure" for her powerlessness, and aid Superman in saving endangered people at the site of a canyon earthquake. Convincing Superman that she should be revealed to the public, the two go back to the Fortress of Solitude as Superman needed to check on an experiment before the revelation. However, there Krypto would discover that the Supergirl in their presence is not the real Supergirl. While Superman was otherwise occupied (and thus unaware) Krypto would learn the truth, and use a switching ray to make both girls return to their rightful places. Supergirl would have no memory of the time she spent on Kandor, but her powers were still gone. 
Lesla-Lar's attempts to return to Earth were halted when Supergirl went trips to the past and future, where she learned that her powers were only effected in the present. Deciding to stay on Earth and give up her Supergirl identity and live as a normal girl. However, before she could dispose of her Supergirl costume she was secretly given her powers back by Mr. Mxyzpltk. Mxyzpltk did so to teach Superman a lesson in humility by giving what he thought was an Earth girl, powers mightier than Superman. As a result, Supergirl's powers were returned and she was also made immune to Kryptonite. Furious that Supergirl got her powers back, Lesla-Lar tried to use her device on Supergirl again, but because it used Kryptonite to take away Supergirl's powers in the first place, it had no effect on her. Her use of these devices were finally tracked by the Kandorian police who promptly arrested her for the illegal use of the rays, and destroyed her devices, foiling any plans she may have had in the future. 
Lesla-Lar would return in two other instances. She would briefly possess the body of Lena Thorul, and working with Phantom Zone criminals in collecting illegal Kryptonian weapons. This would prove to be her downfall as the criminal Kru-El would test the devices on her disintegrating her body.
Her consciousness would survive and deluding itself into thinking it was Supergirl's sister, tried to take over the Girl of Steel's body. She would temporarily succeed, however the Danvers would detect the differences in their adopted daughters personality. Upon calling Lesla-Lar on her true identity, she weakened Lar's control enough for Supergirl to regain control and expel Lesla-Lar's consciousness from her body, seemingly destroying it.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
While on Earth, Lesla-Lar gained the same super-powers any Earth-One Kryptonian gained while on the planet Earth. This included invulnerability, super-human strength, flight, x-ray vision, etc. She shared the same weakness to Kryptonite as well while on Earth. While in the city of Kandor, she did not have these powers as it's gravity approximated that of Krypton. As a disembodied consciousness, she had the ability to invade the minds of others, take control of their bodies and expel their consciousnesses and keep them out.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lesla-Lar possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Lesla-Lar's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Lesla-Lar can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Lesla-Lar' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Lesla-Lar's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Lesla-Lar can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Lesla-Lar's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. this ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Lesla-Lar's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Lesla-Lar is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Lesla-Lar is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Lesla-Lar is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Lesla-Lar's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Lesla-Lar is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Lesla-Lar is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lesla-Lar possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
Lesla-Lar used a number of different scientific devices, primarily a ray which could sap a Kryptonian's super-powers using a ray of Kryptonite, a device that allowed her to switch places with someone on Earth (sending that person to Kandor and adjusting both beings heights accordingly) and a device that would mentally condition people. She'd commonly use the latter to make Supergirl believe that she was really Lesla-Lar. This device had a fail safe switch that Lesla-Lar would wear on her wrist that would reverse the process and her mental conditioning.
- 12 Appearances of Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."