- I envy and hate her! The honors that I, Lesla-Lar, have earned in Kandor as a scientific genius are as nothing compared to the acclaim the people of Earth will give Supergirl when they learn of her existence!
- -- Lesla-Lar src
The Unknown Supergirl
A brilliant scientist, Lesla grew jealous of Supergirl and the fame she'd earn when her existence was revealed to the Earth's people, and began harboring criminal aspirations.
That was only the start of Lesla's scheming. When Supergirl was sleeping, Lesla used a shrinking/teleporting device to bring her to Kandor and then conditioned Supergirl mentally to believe she was Lesla-Lar. Lesla took Supergirl's place while Kara lived Lesla's life in Kandor.
Lesla's plan consisted in winning Lex Luthor's trust, and get him build a Kryptonite-powered ray to kill Superman. Then she would talk Superman -who believed her to be the real Kara Zor-El- into revealing her existence to the world. After Luthor destroys Superman she would "accidentally" kill him while capturing him, and then Earth would be hers to do how she pleases while the real Supergirl remains in Kandor forever.
Lesla tricked Kara's cousin into believing she was the real Supergirl and was ready for the reveal. However, Krypto discovered she was an impostor and the real Supergirl was in Kandor. Krypto used a switching ray to make both girls return to their rightful places. Unfortunately Kara -still depowered- was knocked unconscious in the process, and although the hit undid her mental conditioning, it made her believe her life in Kandor was a strange dream.
Kara intended to change places with Supergirl again at the first opportunity, but she was arrested by the Kandorian police before she had the chance to do so, and her depowering ray was destroyed.
Meeting the Phantom Zoners
Lesla eventually broke out of a Kandorian jail to scheme against Supergirl again. This time she replaced Lena Thorul and asssembled a Phantom Zone Projector to free the Phantom Zoners. She hoped they'd help her conquer Earth, but Dru-Zod, Jax-Ur and Kru-El murdered her in cold blood right away. As Supergirl and Superman battled the Zoners, Supergirl finally learned of Lesla's existence.
Lesla's body was destroyed, but her consciousness survived. After several years living like a disembodied ghost and obsessing over Kara, Lesla deluded herself into thinking she was Kara Zor-El's sister. After attacking the Girl of Steel via manipulated pawns like Klax-Ar or Shyla Kor-Onn,- Lesla tried to take over Supergirl's body.
She succeeded, but Kara's parents Zor-El and Allura In-Ze quickly figured out she couldn't be their daughter. Upon denouncing her as an impostor, her hold upon Kara's body weakened enough for Supergirl get her body's control back and punch Kara out of her mind and apparently out of existence.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lesla-Lar possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Lesla-Lar's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Lesla-Lar can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Lesla-Lar's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Lesla-Lar's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Lesla-Lar can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Lesla-Lars can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Lesla-Lar can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Lesla-Lar is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Lesla-Lar is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Lesla-Lar is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Lesla-Lar's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Lesla-Lar is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Lesla-Lar is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Lesla-Lar possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
Lesla-Lar used a number of different scientific devices, primarily a ray which could nullify a Kryptonian's powers, a device that allowed her to switch places with someone on Earth (sending that person to Kandor and adjusting both beings heights accordingly) and a mind control device.
- This version of Lesla-Lar, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- 18 Appearances of Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Lesla-Lar (Earth-One)
- Lesla-Lar at Supermanica
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."