Lisa Jennings is a member of the Superman Squad. Originally, she was a school teacher who found a Sunstone which endowed her with Kryptonian superpowers. At first, Jennings was an enemy of Superman, but in the end, she reformed and decided to use her powers for good.
Jennings was an elementary school teacher in Danville, Ohio, whose students had found a Sunstone from the remains of New Krypton, which had fallen to Earth after the War of the Supermen. Jennings examinated the Sunstone, Superman, who was walking across America to regain his connection with humanity after the War of the Superman, walked across the school. The crystal was an interrogation device used on New Krypton to extract a person's memories. When Superman walked in front of the crystal, not only it copied his recent depression but his powers. This corrupted Jennings, and she decided to stalk him throughtout his journey and destroy everything he ever stood for.
Her first action against Superman was to endow Willy Trask, drunk, with Kryptonian powers and make him fight Superman. Superman defeats Trask but the town is left devastated. Although Superman rebuilds it, this leads the public to make negative comments against him, including Jennings.
Jennings continues stalking Superman across America until she arrives at Lincoln, Nebraska. A flood and a tornado hit town. Jennings uses this as a test to see if Superman is willing to let the flood is kill a few people to stop the tornado. However, Wonder Woman helps Superman rescue the flood's victims while he stops the tornado. Angered, Jennings attacks Wonder Woman but is forced to retreat. Afterwards, Wonder Woman warns Superman about Jennings.
Jennings travels to Las Vegas, where she, along with many other people, is trapped on an electric field by an out-of-control Livewire. She tries to escape, but the field electrifies her, causing her to drop her Sunstone. Iron Munro, one of the people trapped in the field, touches the Sunstone and is temporarily shocked. Jennings takes the crystal back before Munro recovers. Superman defeats Livewire and Jennings escapes.
Later, Jennings goes to Seattle, Washington, and kidnaps Lois Lane, Superman's wife, and threatens to kill her unless Superman confronts her. Superman saves Lois and fighs Jennings. To prevent their fight from causing collateral damage, Superman takes Jennings to the Still Zone, a parallel dimension outside normal space and time. There, Jennings explains how did she obtain her powers, showing him the Sunstone. Having regained his idealism and sense of humanity, Superman infuses the Sunstone with his feelings of hope, destroying it and knocking Jennings out. He takes her back to their dimension and leaves her in the hospital.
Jennings would later become a member of the Superman Squad, a group of heroes from various species who decided to follow Superman's example. The Superman Squad had the technology to travel to different points in time and space, and Jennings and other squadmembers travel to Superman's time to inspire him in his walk across America. Jennings did not reveal her identity to him.
Later, Jennings would tell her experiences to younger members of the Supermen Squad.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Jennings possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Jennings's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Jennings can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Jennings' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Jennings's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Jennings can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Jennings's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Jennings's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Jennings is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Jennings is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Jennings is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Jennings's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Jennings is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Jennings is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Jennings possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- 7 Appearances of Lisa Jennings (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Lisa Jennings (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Lisa Jennings (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Lisa Jennings (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: