- What's wrong, air breather? Are you drowning without your oxygen?
- -- Aquagirl src
Lorena Marquez was going on a date at the San Diego Zoo when an earthquake shook the city and caused it to sink deep into the sea, killing thousands, including Lorena's entire family. She came into contact with Aquaman, who nursed her back to health, while discovering that she has developed the ability to breathe underwater like an Atlantean.
The two managed to locate the other survivors of the quake as well as Geist, the scientist responsible for the catastrophe. They had no choice but to begin rebuilding the city as 'Sub Diego'. When Ocean Master switched lives with Aquaman, Lorena assumed the identity of Aquagirl, adopting an aquatic costume and changing to bare feet, from this point in time, onward. After Aquaman exposed Ocean Master's scheme, Lorena kept her Aquagirl costume and identity, and the two carried on protecting 'Sub Diego'.
In the months following "Infinite Crisis", Aquagirl briefly joined the Teen Titans, but her tenure was very brief, and she spent most of it engaged in arguments with Hawk.  Lorena also assisted Steel in launching an attack on Lexcorp when Natasha was captured by Luthor.
She later resurfaced back in Sub Diego as one of the few citizens still able to breathe water. She journeyed to Poseidonis to mourn the death of Aquaman's son Koryak. She then joined the new Aquaman, Cal Durham, Tempest, and the new Topo in another voyage to Sub Diego.
- Unique Physiology: Following the sinking of San Diego, Lorena's DNA was fused with that of Aquaman, granting her a highly efficient biology.
- Amphibian: Aquagirl has the ability to breathe underwater. Like Aquaman, Lorena has gills, which enables her to extract oxygen from water, while simultaneously eschewing carbon dioxide.
- Superhuman Durability: She also possesses enhanced density and muscle mass, allowing her to survive at ocean depths that would prove unsafe for normal humans.
- Enhanced Strength: Due to her underwater training as well as her toughened muscles her strength has been enhanced beyond human means.
- Enhanced Senses: As a denizen of the sea, Lorena and others like her are adapted to have enhanced senses that allow them to see and hear things underwater better than regular humans would be able to do.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): She was trained by Aquaman in basic combat as well as being tutored on the go.
- Investigation: Lorena Marquez has a keen deductive mind, a quality that earned her the respect of Aquaman.
- Swimming: Despite being an adept swimmer, after being sunk and changed by Sub-Diego she has been able to swim in underwater combat and keep up with the likes of Aquaman, Mera and Aqualad.
- Weaponry: Lorena has used an Atlantean trident since joining the Teen Titans and has grown proficient in it's use.
- Atlantean Trident
- In a futuristic storyline entitled "Titans Tomorrow", Lorena was shown as an adult using the name, Aquawoman. Her costume consisted of the familiar gold and green uniform worn by her predecessor, Aquaman. In this future era (approximately 2015 AD), the Teen Titans take a more hard line and arguably Fascist approach to crime-fighting, encapsulating an attitude that is commonly attributed to super-villains rather than heroes. During one of the storyline's more poignant scenes, Aquawoman is present as her comrades go to lengths to torture their old nemesis, Deathstroke. As Aquawoman, Lorena appears first in Teen Titans/Legion Special #1, then in Teen Titans (Volume 3) #17-19.
- She only displays marine telepathy in her future self, she has yet to show any ability to do so as a teenager.
- 77 Appearances of Lorena Marquez (New Earth)
- 30 Images featuring Lorena Marquez (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Lorena Marquez (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Lorena Marquez (New Earth)
- Aquagirl at dccomics.com
- Aquagirl at Wikipedia.org
- Aquagirl biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Aquagirl fan page
|Aquaman Family member|
This character is or was an ally of Aquaman, and a member of the Aqua-Family and/or its supporting cast. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Aquaman Supporting Cast" category. See also: Aquaman Villains.
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.