Loretta York was interested in magic since she was little girl. That interest drew her to a burned-down bookstore as a teenager. Surprisingly, one book had survived the fire—a book containing all sorts of magic spells. Using the book, York became the Yellow Peri, and used her powers to help people. However, her own inexperience and a devilish imp named Gazook made York more of a threat than a help. She wound up in Smallville, where she encountered Superboy. The meeting ended with Superboy throwing York's book into space, which happened to erase York's memories of being the Yellow Peri.
Years later, the book fell back into Earth's atmosphere and returned to Loretta, now married to a shady character named Alvin Grant. Grant hoped to use the Yellow Peri for a get-rich-quick scheme. Loretta again became the Yellow Peri and encountered Superman. Her husband tried unsuccessfully to pit his wife against the Man of Steel. In the end, Superman agreed to leave the book in Loretta's possession until she proved unworthy of the power.
Months later, Clark Kent and Lois Lane encountered the Grants and, once again, Alvin was trying to make a quick buck and the Yellow Peri's magic was backfiring. Unable to destroy the book, Superman encased it in lead, erasing the Grants' memories of the Yellow Peri once more. However, Loretta eventually stumbled upon the lead-sealed book.
- Occultism: With the help of a magic book and the imp Gazook, Yellow Peri has mastered sorcery.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 12 Appearances of Loretta York (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Loretta York (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Loretta York (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Loretta York (New Earth)
- Yellow Peri at dccomics.com
- Yellow Peri at Wikipedia.org
- Yellow Peri at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe