Mars is the fourth planet from the star Sol at a distance of 1.524 A.U.. It is 4,216 miles in diameter. Its day equals 1.03 Earth days and its year equals 686.98 Earth days. Mars has a thin atmosphere, its surface temperature ranges from -190 (F to 80 (F, and its gravity is 0.38 that of Earth. Mars has two moons, Deimos and Phobos.
The planet Ma'aleca'andra was home to a supremely powerful malignant race simply known as the Burning. These beings possesed vast pyrokinetic abilities, reproduced asexually, and made extensive plans of intergalactic conquest.
Fearing that these beings would ruin untold lives and species, the Guardians of the Universe intervened and defeated the evil race. In order to make sure that the Martians never again rediscover their burning origins, the Guardians split them into two distinct races and instilled both of them with a deep weakness and fear of fire. Thus the two Martian races were born; the White Martians and the Green Martians. One such Green Martian called J'onn J'onzz, was transported to the Earth in the mid-20th Century.
It would be some time before he learned that he was transported not only through space but also through time . he learned to his dismay that his race had become extinct a few centuries earlier.
Mars was first colonized by humans in the 21st Century. The original colony zone is now known as Nix Olympia and has grown extensively over the centuries since humans originally settled there. The United Planets had begun terraforming the formerly barren planet, and up until the disaster over a tenth of the planet had been populated.
Before the Great Terran Disaster, Mars was becoming well known for its vacationing spots and was chosen by many for honeymooning. After being battered by the destruction of Earth, it is expected to take nearly a decade to complete the repairs. Mars is also the location of the Science Police Academy. It was during his Science Police training that Gim Allon gained his powers as Colossal Boy.
In the Amalgam Universe Mars is inhabited by beings called Skrulls, a war-like race of shapeshifting conquerors with psionic abilities. J'onn J'onzz, a.k.a. Mister X, is the only peaceful member of his race, escaping to Earth to get away from his violent brethren.
Points of Interest
- Arsia Mons
- Ascraeus Mons
- Cydonia Mensae
- Mountains of Passion
- Nix Olympia
- Olympic Mons
- Pavonis Mons
- Valley of Sand
- Xan'Xie Peaks
- Z'onn Z'orr
- Known Martians
- J'onn J'onzz
- Cay'an (New Earth)
- M'gann M'orzz
There are several species of creatures that are indigenous to the planet Mars. Among these are:
In the continuity of John Carter - Warlord of Mars, the Martian name for their home world is Barsoom. The name is taken directly from the original works of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Although the reality of John Carter takes place in an alternate continuity, the literary Carter is referenced in the DC Universe. For example, Doctor Saul Erdel helped to stabilize an insane Martian Manhunter by telepathically feeding him images of his perception of Mars, which was heavily influenced by science fiction writers such as Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Points Of Interest
- City of Ghasta
- City of Helium (home of Princess Dejah Thoris)
- City of Sorkan
- City of Therns
- River Iss (River of Death)
- Valley Dor (Valley of Heaven)
- Temple of Issus
- John Carter Warlord of Mars
- Princess Dejah Thoris
- Mors Kajak (ruler of Helium and father of Dejah Thoris)
- Thuvia the Huntress
- Tharks (race)
- Lorquas Ptomel, Jed (Thark's chieftain)
- Sarkoja (a female Thark)
- Sola (daughter of Tars Tarkas)
- Tars Tarkas (second in command of the Thark's army)
- In the 853rd century, Earth had established a human colony on Mars. A black-market smuggling cartel operated out of the colony specializing in the sale of "Power Icons" - insignias that granted its wearer temporary super-powers. To counter the efforts of the smugglers, Earth established a branch office of the Department of Extranormal Operations for the express purpose of policing the colony and cracking the smuggling ring. 
- The names Ma'aleca'andra and Mars are named for war deities from both Martian and Earth mythology. See Ares for more information regarding the Earth-based God of War.
- Martians share a close genetic relationship with the native people of Saturn.
- Ma'aleca'andra is a re-spelling of Malacandra, the name used by the inhabitants of Mars in the C. S. Lewis novel Out of the Silent Planet.
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 1)
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2)
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 2)
- Weird Worlds
- Appearances of Mars (Planet)
- Location Gallery: Mars (Planet)
- Catalogued images related to Mars (Planet)