|Real Name||Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz|
|Aliases||Darkness in the Heart; John Jones; Martian Manhunter; Wonder Woman|
|Relatives||M'yrnn (father, deceased); Sha'sheen (mother, decased); J'onn J'onzz (twin brother); M'yri'ah (sister-in-law, deceased); K'hym (niece, deceased); J'ahrl J'onzz (ancestor, deceased)|
|Base Of Operations||Formerly Ma'aleca'andra; later Earth|
|Origin||Centuries ago on Mars, Sha'sheen and M'yrnn J'onnz gave birth to twin sons, J'onn and Ma'alefa'ak. A mutant, Ma'alefa'ak was born without the ability to read the minds of others, a trait common to all Green Martians. (Alien)|
|Place of Birth||Ma'aleca'andra|
|Creators||John Ostrander, Tom Mandrake|
Ma'alefa'ak was the architect of an extinction-level event, which has since become known as H'ronmeer's Curse (or H'ronmeer's Plague). A plague of fire, this curse attacked Martians via their telepathic abilities. Whenever a Martian attempted to use their psionic gifts or commune with the Great Mind, they would fall victim to the Curse and ultimately burn to death. With the exception of Ma'alefa'ak's brother, J'onn and himself, nearly all Green Martians on the planet died as a result of Ma'alefa'ak's handiwork. For centuries, Ma'alefa'ak continued to live in the ruins of Mars, unaware that his brother had survived the plague, and had been transported through space and time to the planet Earth.
Several years ago, Ma'alefa'ak learned of J'onn's existence, and followed him to Earth in an effort to complete the genocide of the Martian race by destroying its last surviving son. The Martian Manhunter, however, foiled Ma'alefa'ak's efforts on several occasions.
During their earlier years, both Ma'Alefa'ak and J'onn underwent the ritual of G'amal'khul, in which each permanently exchanged a portion of their psyches with the other. Due to the ritual of G'amal'khul, the psychic remnant of Ma'alefa'ak living within J'onn J'onzz's mind managed to bury the similar remnants of his brother's wife and daughter. This fragment of Ma'alefa'ak then tormented his brother with twisted false memories of his life on Earth, his own persistent mental manifestation, and urges to drive the Martian Manhunter to suicide. The gambit briefly succeeded in sublimating J'onn's conscious self, allowing Ma'alefa'ak control of his physical body. But what this manifestation of Ma'alefa'ak did not count on was J'onn finally relocated his wife and daughter within himself, who assisted him in reasserting his psyche. This, combined with with the minds of the JLA, obliterated Ma'alefa'ak on the psychic plane.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Martian Physiology: Malefic possesses the same powers as an average Martian. These include:
- Extrasensory Input: Nine different senses.
- Martian Vision: Eyesight which extends the visible spectrum, visual acuity, and allows sight through most objects and barriers. Martian Vision is also similar to Kryptonian heat vision in that it can cause combustible objects to explode.
- Flight: The ability defy gravity and fly through sheer force of will. This ability is psionic in nature, and functions similarly to tactile telekinesis.
- Invulnerability: With the exception of fire, he is invulnerable to nearly all physical attacks. This is due primarily to their shape-shifting talents and the ability to increase the density of his molecular structure.
- Malleable Form: Psionic control over his physical form, even down to the molecular level. As a form of shape-shifting, this power enables Malefic to contort his physical structure to adopt human form, elongate limbs, grow to immense size, and so on. He can also change the substance and material from which his body is made of. This allows him to produce weapons and clothing of any type. He can maintain the selected form for an indeterminate amount of time without undue risk or strain. This ability allows for the folowing powers:
- Intangibility: The ability to decrease his molecular density to become incorporeal and thus able to pass through solid objects, as well as increase it to become tougher and stronger.
- Invisibility: The ability to bend light waves around his body, rendering his invisible to most forms of human detection. Through this byproduct of shape-shifting, he can also alter their body's temperature, allowing his to become invisible to most forms of electronic detection.
- Size Alteration
- Regeneration: The ability to rapidly heal wound, from minor cuts to regrowing lost limbs. This include the regrowth of major body parts such as the head, heart, or similar primary organs.
- Self-Sustenance: Negating the need to consume food or drink. This also eliminates the need to produce waste.
- Superhuman Speed: Either through flight or natural movement, he can maintain the speed and reflexes far in excess to that of a standard Earth human.
This also allows:
- Superhuman Endurance: His endurance is just as formidable as his strength or invulnerability. When not in the presence of fire, he can operate under extreme conditions for an indeterminate period of time without showing signs of fatigue. The exact range of this power is unknown. When in the presence of fire, this endurance diminishes greatly.
- Superhuman Strength: He possesses a strength comparable to that of a Kryptonian under a yellow sun.
By Earth Standards, Malefic's strength is superhuman. By Martian standards, he maintains the strength level of an average adult, male Green Martian.
Has no telepathy unlike most other Martians
Kuru pendant (presumably)
- DCU Villains Secret Files and Origins #1
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #0
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #3
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #4
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #6
- Appearances of Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Images featuring Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ma'alefa'ak J'onzz (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Supporting||Bloodwynd • Captain Harding • Cha'Rissa • Diane Meade • H'ronmeer • Jemm • Justice League International • Justice League of America • K'hym J'onzz • Miss Martian • M'yri'ah • Roh Kar • Saul Erdel • Scorch • StormWatch • Zook|
|Villains||Bette Noir • Cay'an • D'Kay D'Razz • Headmaster • Human Flame • Ma'alefa'ak • Rott • Scorch • VULTURE • White Martians|
|Comics||Detective Comics • House of Mystery • Martian Manhunter (Volume 1) • Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) • Martian Manhunter (Volume 3) • Martian Manhunter: American Secrets • Martian Manhunter Special|
|Miscellaneous||Mars • Origins • Publication History • Recommended Reading • Storylines|
|This box: view • talk • edit|
|Martian Manhunter Villain(s) |