Major Mynah is a Mynah bird native of Cambodia that crossed paths with Ray Palmer when he was in the region on an archeological dig. When the bird stole a gold statue, Ray would go after it as the Atom. The Atom would witness the bird get attacked by a hawk and sent crashing into an ancient Hindu temple hidden in the jungle. After fighting off the hawk, the Atom would follow after the Mynah bird finding that it's wings had been damaged in the fight. Administering it first aid, the Atom would stumble upon Vieg Minh invaders within the temple and with the aid of the bird, would stop them from raiding it.
Naming the bird Major Mynah, Ray takes it back to America with him and brings it to his friend Carter Hall to examine the injuries sustained to the bird. Realizing it's real wings were damaged beyond repair, Ray and Carter would change into Atom and Hawkman and travel out to Hawkman's spaceship. There Hawkman would use his advanced scientific equipment from Thanagar to replace the bird with new mechanical wings that would enhance his flying speeds.
Returning to Ivy Town, Ray would go into action as the Atom riding Major Mynah to stop a bunch of crooks who had stolen the artifacts that he had brought back from Cambodia. After this adventure, Major Mynah almost gives away Ray's secret identity to his fiancee Jean Loring prompting Ray to develop a means of disguising Major Mynah in future adventures.
The Atom and Major Mynah's partnership would prove to be short lived, as the bird would only help him out in two subsequent adventures. First aiding him briefly in stopping an invasion of the alien Physalians and finally rescuing the Atom from a bunch of spies where were about to extract secrets from his mind using a Lobotikon device.
The ultimate fate of Major Mynah is unrevealed. If any events involving Major Mynah following the effects of Crisis on Infinite Earths remain unrevealed.
When Ray Palmer activates his size-change device to become the Atom, the process also causes Major Mynah's feathers to change from black to yellow. How this happens is not clearly explained.
Major Mynah, like all Mynah birds has the ability to mimicry anything that he hears. He often repeats things that are spoken to him by Ray Palmer, and has taken on the habit of repeating things that he has heard on television.
Major Mynah's wings have been replaced by mechanical ones enabling the bird to travel at speeds up to 180 miles per hour.
- This version of Major Mynah (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Major Mynah (Earth-One)
- Images featuring Major Mynah (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Major Mynah (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Major Mynah (Earth-One)