- Defending a planet and cleaning up a city are two very different things.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "One Night in Gotham City"
- Magpie (First appearance)
Synopsis for "One Night in Gotham City"
Superman and Batman meet each other for the first time. Batman is on the trail of the criminal known as Magpie. He is interrupted in a lead by Superman who regards him as an outlaw. Rather than risk capture, Batman informs Superman that should the latter make any attempts to come near him, a signal will be activated that will trigger a bomb and kill a person somewhere in the city. The two are forced to work together and eventually capture Magpie. In the end, Batman reveals to Superman that the endangered person is Batman himself. Superman departs cautioning Batman against crossing any further lines. Batman admits to himself of a respect for Superman’s innate goodness and wonders if, in a different reality, they could have been friends.
- This issue was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 1.
- This is the first appearance of the post-Crisis Batman.
- This issue re-imagines the first meeting between Batman and Superman. DC Comics has since retroactively re-imagined their first encounter with one another in Superman/Batman Secret Files and Origins 2003.
- This story appears to take place early in Batman's career, as the Dark Knight is mentioned as working outside the law. Batman also has no Batmobile at this point; instead, he drives a two-door dark blue sedan which has a portable crime lab installed in the trunk.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Man of Steel Vol 1 3 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Man of Steel series
- Images from Man of Steel Vol 1 3
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Volume )
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Supermanica Homepage
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at IGN Comics
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at Dark Knight
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes
- Man of Steel series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Man of Steel series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
|Crisis Reboot |
After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, a 1985-1986 maxiseries which completely reset the continuity of the entire DC Universe, all of DC's major characters and franchises needed to be updated to reflect the changes in the events of their lives. Multiple story arcs were put out to explain these rebooted versions of popular characters.