Mantis is the leader of a colony of humanoid insects that migrated from New Genesis. In return for his fealty Darkseid gifted him with great power. He typically spent time in a power pod recharging his energies but he could also absorb energies sent at him by an opponent such as Green Lantern. Mantis has at times served as Darkseid's lackey and, like many of the denizens of Apokolips, has occasionally risen up against his master.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- A Mantis action figure was released in 1985 as part of DC's "Super-Powers" collection.
- 35 Appearances of Mantis (New Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Mantis (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mantis (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mantis (New Earth)
- Mantis (DC Comics) at Wikipedia.org
- Mantis profile at the New Gods Library
- Mantis profile at Spider-Bob
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.