The daughter of Teen Titans Robin and Starfire, Mar'i was born into a legacy of heroism. While much of her early life is unknown, it is known that her mother died from a circulatory illness when she was young. This happened despite Bruce Wayne's best efforts to help Starfire. Her relationship with her father was somewhat strained due to them being on opposite sides of the conflict. By contrast, she shared a close relationship with Bruce Wayne whom she called Gramps. However, as she grew older, she realized that the world was not the one her parents knew. As such, she devolved into a vigilante, striking out at other metahumans for little or no reason.
When Superman came out of retirement after the destruction of Kansas, she joined Batman's "Outsiders" team - against the wishes of her father, who had joined Superman's Justice League. In the Outsiders, she first met Ibn al Xu'ffasch, to whom she was attracted. When her father was attacked by the cyborg 666, she flew him to safety. As a result, they survived the UN's nuclear strike. After these events, Nightstar worked to help build a metahuman community on the New Oa satellite after the UN gave the metahumans nation status.
Twenty years in the future, she will attend Batman's funeral in the company of Ibn al Xu'ffasch, a small boy, and teenage daughter.
- In The Kingdom, the mini-series that serves as a sequel to Kingdom Come, her name is revealed to be Mar'i, perhaps a Tamaranian equivalent to Mary, which is the name of her paternal grandmother, Mary Loyd Grayson. 
- In The Kingdom: Nightstar, it's revealed that she has an interest in botany, a fear of death and works with security at Green Lantern Alan Scott's space station The Green. 
- According to supplementary material in the Kingdom Come hardback edition, Nightstar was based visually on a woman named Jennifer van Winkle. 
- Appearances of Mar'i Grayson (Earth-22)
- Images featuring Mar'i Grayson (Earth-22)
- Quotations by or about Mar'i Grayson (Earth-22)
- Character Gallery: Mar'i Grayson (Earth-22)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Elseworlds Character |
This character exists within an Elseworlds continuity, and as such is not a part of the mainstream DC Universe; they may also exist within the 52 Multiverse. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Elseworlds Characters."
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.
This article is using a sub-standard image. The image is too small, of poor quality, bears a watermark or violates copyright law. You can help the DC Database Project by replacing the offending image with a higher quality scan.