Martha Wayne (née Kane) was born into the Kane family, who were so rich that they allegedly "owned the half of Gotham that the Wayne's don't". Her father Roddy Kane, had a fortune through his ownership of Kane Chemicals. Martha married Tom Wayne, though this started an argument with her parents which would last the rest of her life. However, she remained on good terms with her friend Marsha Lamarr.
Martha, Thomas and young Bruce were walking home from a night out at the movies. A mugger known as "Joe Chill" leapt from the shadows of Park Row and assaulted them, demanding money. Thomas tried to fight back, but the mugger shot him directly in the chest, killing him. He then turned his gun on Martha and viciously ended her life as well. Bruce Wayne stared on in horror, as his parents laid dead beside him. Chill turned on his heel and ran from the alleyway. Bruce made a graveside promise that he would bring the lowly killer to justice and avenge their deaths. His personal crusade would escalate until the fateful night that he chose to become Gotham City's Dark Knight protector - the Batman.
A few years ago, the international eco-terrorist Ra's al Ghul disinterred the Waynes' remains and threatened to immerse them in one of his Lazarus Pits – a side effect of which would be resurrection as a decomposed zombie. Batman infiltrated Ra's stronghold however, and reclaimed his parents' bodies before Ra's could fulfill his scheme. 
This section of the history takes place during Flashpoint, a massive crossover event set in an alternate timeline to the mainstream DCU. History was completely changed when Professor Zoom finally found a way to erase his nemesis the Flash without harming his own legacy.
In this timeline Bruce Wayne is killed by Joe Chill rather then his parents. Martha Wayne is so traumaised by the event she becomes this realities version of the Joker. She cuts open her cheeks to create a faux smile.  Her husband Thomans wished to gain revenge for his sons murder and becomes this realites version of Batman. She is working with her own version of Harley Quinn called Yo-Yo.
She kidnaps the twin children of Judge Dent. She tricks Chief Gordon into shooting Dent's daughter by taping her mouth shut and disguising her as the Joker. Before Batman confronts her, she slashes Gordon's throat. After Gordan murder Batman turns-up to face his ex-wife.  Batman tells her he has dicovered a way rewrite history so Bruce was never killed. He told her about Barry Allen and how he helped him restore his powers. Martha with this knowledge is shocked to learn the hardships her son will go through, she run to her death off a cliff near Wayne Manor. 
- In a graphic novel entitled Batman: Son of the Demon, Batman sires an illegitimate child with Talia al Ghul named Ibn al Xu'ffasch. According to editor Dennis O'Neil, the graphic novel is considered non-canon, and does not fit into the continuity of the mainstream DC Universe. In 2007, writer Grant Morrison scripted a storyline bringing the character of Ibn al Xu'ffasch back into continuity, this time under the name Damian. It has been confirmed in Grant Morrison's Batman #676 that Damian is indeed Bruce's son and thus making him Martha's actual grandson. 
- Martha's maiden name, Kane, was revealed in the Batman Family (Volume 2) limited series. She shares this name with famed Batman artist Bob Kane and Kathy "Batwoman" Kane. Any familial relationship remains unknown.
- Martha and Thomas Wayne, died on June 26 at 10:47
- 79 Appearances of Martha Kane (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Martha Kane (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Martha Kane (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Martha Kane (New Earth)
- Martha Wayne article at Wikipedia
- Thomas and Martha Wayne article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: