"Burning Bright": The Martian Manhunter is still reeling from the effects of the sentient spore that had once infected him. Stumbling through the streets of Chicago, images of the Martian Death God, H'ronmeer, continue to haunt him. H'ro
- I still do not understand the American psyche -- and Batman's least of all! Perhaps if I watched more episodes of "Father Knows Best" -- !
- -- Rocket Red
Appearing in "Burning Bright"
- H'ronmeer (as an hallucination)
- Saul Erdel
- Miles the cat (First appearance)
- Mars (Flashback only)
- Chicago, Illinois
- Denver, Colorado
- Justice League Embassy, New York City
- Rome, Italy
Synopsis for "Burning Bright"
The Martian Manhunter is still reeling from the effects of the sentient spore that had once infected him. Stumbling through the streets of Chicago, images of the Martian Death God, H'ronmeer, continue to haunt him. H'ronmeer forces J'onn's body to contort into a variety of grotesque, violent shapes, but J'onn doesn't understand why. His hallucinations intensify and he sees images of Martian culture that never truly existed. H'ronmeer's spirit claims that he needs to burn away the "layers of untruth" that has poisoned J'onn's mind. J'onn attempts to flee from the images, and flies to Rome, Italy.
Meanwhile, J'onn's teammates in the JLI begin tracking his movements. They trace him first to Chicago, and again to Italy. They set down and attempt to stop his rampage, but quickly discover that H'ronmeer is no mere illusion. They still do not know if the Death God is truly manifesting on Earth, or if his presence is merely a psychic projection. Regardless, H'ronmeer proves more than capable of handling the desperate heroes. H'ronmeer communes with Mister Miracle and psychically reveals his plan for the Martian Manhunter. Scott now understands what is going on, and agrees to help the Martian diety.
Enraged over Mister Miracle's apparent betrayal, the Martian Manhunter races away back to the United States. He crash-lands outside of the cottage of Doctor Saul Erdel - the man who responsible for first bringing J'onn to Earth all those years ago.
- Plot by DeMatteis and Badger, script by DeMatteis.
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 1) is a four-issue limited series.
- This issue makes reference to a sentient spore that infected the Martian Manhunter in Justice League Annual #1.
- This issue is the first Post-Crisis appearance of Doctor Saul Erdel. Previously, it was believed that he had died after his first encounter with the Martian Manhunter back in Detective Comics #225.
- Aspects of the Martian Manhunter's true form are foreshadowed in this issue.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Martian Manhunter Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Martian Manhunter series
Links and References
- Martian Manhunter at Wikipedia.org
- Martian Manhunter at Toonopedia
- Martian Manhunter at the DCU Guide
- Martian Manhunter at Monitor Duty
- Martian Manhunter at Cosmic Teams
- Martian Manhunter at the Oracle Files
- Martian Manhunter at TV Tropes