"Welcome Home": The Martian Manhunter arrives on Mars where he confronts the Martian God of Death and Fire – H'ronmeer. H'ronmeer confesses to baiting J'onn back to Mars so that he might help him to restore his true self. T
- I dance with the past; I pray to it; I honor my world and family... I hold them close as breath, then gently... so gently... let them go. I've come home.
Appearing in "Welcome Home"
Synopsis for "Welcome Home"
The Martian Manhunter arrives on Mars where he confronts the Martian God of Death and Fire – H'ronmeer. H'ronmeer confesses to baiting J'onn back to Mars so that he might help him to restore his true self. The ancient God needs J'onn's full faculties for a mission of mercy. Once again, J'onn re-experiences the final days of his people; the day when the plague known as H'ronmeer's Curse swept across the desert plains killing scores of Martians.
Back on Earth, Blue Beetle, Rocket Red, Mister Miracle and Batman arrive at the cottage of Doctor Saul Erdel. Erdel reveals that he already sent J'onn back to Mars – a decision that Mister Miracle happens to agree with. Batman threatens Erdel, demanding that he bring J'onn back, but the aging doctor tells him that he cannot retrieve J'onn until he receives a mental communiqué from him.
Back on Mars, J'onn learns that when he first departed Mars, his telepathic abilities created a spiritual tether to the souls of all those who died during the plague. Because of this, the ghosts of these Martians have been denied the peace of afterlife for centuries. With J'onn's full memories and passions restored, he is able to let go of the past, and break the mental tether binding these spirits to him. The ghosts of Mars rise up and walk into the open arms of H’ronmeer who leads them into the afterworld.
For the first time in his life, the Martian Manhunter knows true peace. Mentally and spiritually revitalized, he signals Doctor Erdel to bring him home.
- Martian Manhunter (Volume 1) is a four-issue limited series; final issue.
- Saul Erdel appears next in flashback in Martian Manhunter (Volume 2) #0. In that issue however, his first name is given as James.
- This issue concludes with the following dedicational: "Dedicated with affection and admiration to the man who discovered Mars: Ray Bradbury".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Martian Manhunter Vol 1 4 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Martian Manhunter series
- Images from Martian Manhunter Vol 1 4
Links and References
- Martian Manhunter at Wikipedia.org
- Martian Manhunter at Toonopedia
- Martian Manhunter at the DCU Guide
- Martian Manhunter at Monitor Duty
- Martian Manhunter at Cosmic Teams
- Martian Manhunter at the Oracle Files
- Martian Manhunter at TV Tropes