"A Prisoner": John Jones wakes from a nightmare flashback to Mars where everyone around him burns. He wakes, showers, grabs his gun and badge and drives to his colleague's house - he picks up Det. Diane Meade and they drive to the scen
Read beyond this point at your own risk!
Appearing in "A Prisoner"
- Martian Manhunter/Det. John Jones/J'onn J'onzz (Flashback and main story)
- Unknown killer (Behind the scenes)
- Manhunters (Mentioned only)
- The Addams
- Bud Addams (Only appearance; dies)
- Ruth Addams (Only appearance; dies)
- Unnamed Addams sibling (Only appearance; dies)
- Ashley Addams (Daughter) (Mentioned only)
- Spaceman (Mentioned only)
- Martl'er (Phone call only) (Flashback only)
- N'ihrl (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- "Whiteflesh" (Mentioned only)
- Earth (Flashback and main story)
- Midleton (Flashback and main story)
- Schiff's (Mentioned only)
- G'orr G'regg
- Sehne'mhoo't Slum
- Suburbs of G'orr G'regg
- CSPD Dispatch Car
- Martian Ship (Flashback only)
- Detective Badge
- Video summon device
Synopsis for "A Prisoner"
John Jones wakes from a nightmare flashback to Mars where everyone around him burns. He wakes, showers, grabs his gun and badge and drives to his colleague's house - he picks up Det. Diane Meade and they drive to the scene of a crime.
At the house the two detectives find a family dead in their living room, seemingly mid-meal, however, the daughter (Ashley) and the family pet (Spaceman) are both missing. John heads up to Ashley's bedroom looking for residual traces of emotional residue. He connects to the memories but soon finds himself troubled by old memories of his daughter and soon he is plunged into great fear by fright foam and he sees the spectral image of some otherworldly being stood over the bed. John's partner, Meade bursts into the room and she suggests that they check out the school nearby for more clues.
Before, Chief Hunter J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter is harassing an underworld drug dealer for his share of the profits and he explains that he is running this protection racket to save N'irhl and his fellow "Goldskins" from the Manhunters. He beats up N'ihrl and returns home, just before he enters his house he gets a phone call from another "Goldskin", Martl'er, J'onn does not reply and instead must whisper to avoid being overheard by his family. They talk about setting up a "whiteflesh" fight soon but J'onn's daughter telepathically speaks to J'onn and he cuts the call short and enters his home.
Inside his home he greets his daughter K'hym, and his wife, M'yri'ah. They eat together but K'hym is sent to complete her homework while J'onn and his wife spend some time together "melding". Their forms merge into one but after M'yri'ah notices that J'onn had been thinking about having another child (something he thought he had suppressed), and though M'yri'ah agrees she wants him to share all of his memories - even the ones he has secreted away "for her sake".
Back in Colorado, Johns and Meade are driving along the road but Johns becomes dizzied, speech is distorted in his ears and he begins to hallucinate. He sees his daughter frozen solid in front of their car and swerves off the road and crashes into a tree.
Meade wakes from the crash and sees John in his true form, as the Martian Manhunter.
- This book was first published on December 5, 2018.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Martian Manhunter Vol 5 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Martian Manhunter series