Matches Malone was a hitman for the Waterfront Mob, as well as having connections with the Gotham Organized Crime. Batman assumed Matches' identity when the real Matches was killed during a confrontation between the two; a bullet fired at Batman ricocheted and caught Matches in the heart.
- This version of Matches Malone, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Matches Malone's nickname derived from his habit of constantly striking matches.
- Robin assumed Matches' identity — wearing an inflatable body stocking to make him appear the correct height and build — on one occasion, during the events of "The Lazarus Pit!", when it was important for the Waterfront hitman to be seen during Batman and Ling's duel to the death. (Batman #243, August, 1972)
- 3 Appearances of Matches Malone (Earth-One)
- 4 Images featuring Matches Malone (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Matches Malone (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Matches Malone (Earth-One)