Matt Savage was born some time in the mid 19th century. As a young man, Matt joined the United States army where he served as an army scout. After leaving the service, he found meager employment working as a miner. He eventually joined a cattle-driving crew as a flank man, and made runs along the Texas Big Bend trail all the way to Abilene, Kansas. Before long, Matt established his own cattle-driving team which he named the Dogiron Crew. Joining his team was accused horse-thief "Biscuits" Baker, former Confederate soldier Jim Grant, the argumentative Clay Dixon as well as other men named Manuel Ortega, Luther Jones, and Red.
Matt Savage was an accomplished trail boss, with years of experience in tracking, riding, cattle driving and lassoing. He was also a fair hand-to-hand combatant, a fine marksman and an accomplished scout.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Although Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XXIV alludes to a possible family connection between Matt Savage and Brian Savage, it remains unconfirmed what relationship, if any, the two men share. Brian Savage's father was also named Matt, though this was an entirely different Matt Savage, and should not be confused with the Texas trail boss. Brian Savage's spirit was reincarnated in the 20th century as Opal City police officer Matt O'Dare.
- 22 Appearances of Matthew Savage (New Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Matthew Savage (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Matthew Savage (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Matthew Savage (New Earth)
- Matt Savage at dccomics.com
- Matt Savage at Wikipedia.org
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XXIV