Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hourman is a two-year-old android from the 853rd Century, he was created by Tyler Chemorobotics using genetic software is patterned after the Miraclo-enhanced DNA of Rex Tyler, the original Golden Age Hourman. Thus, while this Hourman is a machine, he nonetheless qualifies as a 'descendant' of Rex Tyler's. In the year 85,271 A.D., Metron of the New Gods will appoint the young android as his heir and entrust him with the Worlogog , an artifact that can control and manipulate time itself. But Hourman forsook his post as Metron's apprentice and traveled back to the 20th Century to explore his human heritage alongside the Justice League.
The Worlogog allowed Hourman to step effortlessly through time. This, however caused a great catastrophe. When the Justice Legion traveled back to invite the Justice League into the future, Hourman was infected by a virus implanted by the evil Solaris. This virus spread throughout Earth's technology, but the heroes were able to shunt it into a mechanical host. After this incident, the android felt great remorse for the damage he'd caused. He decided to divest himself of the Worlogog’s power and attempt to live as a human in the 20th century. He joined the Justice League and befriended the teams former mascot, Snapper Carr, and took the name Matthew Tyler.
He left the Justice League at the formation of the new Justice Society of America. Like his predecessor, he became a founding member of the new group. His membership provided him with the opportunity to avenge Rex Tyler's death. Rex's killer, Extant, attempted to reassemble the Worlogog. Hourman was instrumental defeating the villain, but then left the Justice Society of America after this case.
After he had spent untold decades adventuring through time since his resignation from the JSA, he received one of Mr. Terrific's T-Spheres which bore a call for help. Rick Tyler was badly wounded in the Timepoint, which was normally occupied by his father Rex. Hourman quickly assembled everything and everyone needed to save Rick; Dr. Mid-Nite operated on Rick's major injuries, and Hourman sped up the healing process. Just then, the Timepoint's last seconds ticked away, and Rex knew it was time to return to the moment of his death. It was Rick, however, who leapt back into the timestream — to take his father's place.
The three Hourmen subsequently vied to take Rex's place in the timestream, but Matthew Tyler emerged "victorious." He empowered Rex with the power to return home, then shut everyone out diving to his death alongside the original Dr. Mid-Nite. Back home, Rex reunited with his wife and vowed to rebuild Tyler.
- Android Physiology: He was a diamond-generation intelligent machine colony, DNA-programmed with Tyler Miraclo gene bio-software. He was a top of the line android, and still considered cutting edge even two years after his creation. He is based off Rex Tyler's own genetic code he possesses all of the various enhanced attributes.
- Chronokinesis: One of the ways Matt Tyler was able to use is chronokinesis was in an ability called "time-vision". Put simply, it is the ability of an individual to perceive events from the past and/or the future.
- Enhanced Intellect
- Enhanced Senses
- Regeneration: Matt has a machine colony comprising his body that is capable of repairing itself, and rebuilding completely from small pieces.
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Worlogog: An artifact that can control and manipulate time itself. He renounced the Worlogog's full power, limiting himself to the occasional "Power Hour" in which he can access some of the Worlogog's time-manipulating abilities.
- Time Ship: Hourman has a time ship that he can use to travel through time.
- 90 Appearances of Matthew Tyler (New Earth)
- 21 Images featuring Matthew Tyler (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Matthew Tyler (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Matthew Tyler (New Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Justice Society of America member
|DC One Million Character |
This character was created during DC One Million, and is a part of its possible future in the 853rd Century. DC One Million was a massive company-wide crossover event published in 1998.