Max Bine was a pupil of circus performer the Flying Dundo, whom he had long been attempting to design an aerodynamic costume that would enable him to truly take flight. Dundo eventually perfected a cape which, when connected to his wrists and ankles, enabled him to soar above the Earth. Bine recognized that the chartreuse cape had far more potential than mere circus performances and murdered his mentor that night. Adding a full face mask to hide his appearance, Bine launched an amazing string of robberies across the nation. After an astonished victim gasped that "he swooped in and out like a ... a banshee," Bine took the name for himself.
The Banshee finally met his match in Crown City when he was struck down by TV newsman Vic Sage during a robbery. Taking flight without the jewel he'd intended to steal, Bine refused to give up and, using more caution, kept Sage's alter-ego, the Question, at arm's length for the next week. As a thunderstorm rolled in, the two opponents met on the ledge of a skyscraper and the Question grabbed onto the villain, adding more weight than his cape could support. Landing on an opportune rooftop, the Banshee pulled out a pistol — only to have the strong winds catch his cape and blow him out to sea.
Eventually, Bine was able to get below the winds and ditch into the sea, where he used his inflated cape as a life raft. He made his way to an uninhabited island, where he was stranded for seven years before being rescued. When he returned to Crown City, he rebuilt his Banshee suit and allied with local criminals to eliminate the Question. The plan failed, and when the Banshee tried to escape out a skyscraper window, the Question was able to puncture the Banshee's cape, causing him to fall to the ground below.
Several years later, a recovered Banshee found himself alongside dozens of other villains during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Banshee was later part of a strikeforce sent to Oa to prevent Krona from creating the multiverse. In the new reality that arose in the aftermath, the Banshee's place is still unknown.
Cape that allows him to fly
- This version of Banshee, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 2 Appearances of Max Bine (Earth-Four)
- 1 Images featuring Max Bine (Earth-Four)
- Quotations by or about Max Bine (Earth-Four)
- Character Gallery: Max Bine (Earth-Four)