Medphyll is one of the first members recruited by the Guardians of the Universe and comes from the plant world J586. A sentient plant with a very unique biology, he gains nourishment through photosynthesis and life from his Mind Stalks that lie atop his head. These Mind Stalks are the only vital organs on his body.
Medphyll’s world is tropical--leaving him vulnerable on colder planets or in space. This Corps member also possesses the special ability to transfer his thought-essence to any nearby plant life--making him an ideal choice for reconnaissance missions.
As a veteran warrior who served with numerous Lanterns, Medphyll considers Hal Jordan one of the greatest. This was not his only meeting with an earthling having once encountered the Earth Elemental known as Swamp Thing. Utilizing his experience as a flora, Medphyll assisted Swamp Thing in returning to his homeworld.
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
The Guardians of the Universe selected Medphyll to be Earth's Green Lantern after Earth had fallen to the Black. While helping to combat the Black, he was captured by Blackbriar Thorn and imprisoned in Metropolis. He was freed by the Patchwork Army and helped them fight the Black.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Alien Physiology: Medphyll is a sentient plant life form. His body contains no important organs except the "Mind Stalks" on his head which appear like hair.
- Psychic Link: The use of these mind stalks is what allows him a telepathic connection to plants. This ability enables Medphyll to transfer his mind into any local plant life.
- Vulnerability to Cold: Due to his plantlike nature, Medphyll was extremely vulnerable to cold weather. Fortunately, his Green Lantern Ring and Darkstar Exo-Mantle protected him from extreme variances in temperature.
- Green Lantern Power Battery
- Darkstar Exo-Mantle: (formerly) During his time as a member of the Darkstars, Medphyll wore a specially designed battle suit, which provided him with the ability to fly, as well as operate in unfavorable environments. The Exo-Mantle was also equipped with maser technology, which allowed Medphyll to generate blasts of electromagnetic force.
"In forest dark or glade beferned, no blade of grass shall go unturned. Let those who have the daylight spurned, tread not where this green lamp has burned."
- Medphyll's predecessor on J586 was named Jothra.
- Medphyll's body is comprised of vegetative material and as such, he gains nourishment through photosynthesis rather than through the consumption of food stuffs.
- Constructs are plant-like, continuing to grow as more are created.
- 33 Appearances of Medphyll (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Medphyll (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Medphyll (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Medphyll (New Earth)
- Medphyll and Penelops
- Medphyl chronology index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Medphyl profile at the Book of Oa
- Medphyll profile at GLCorps
- Medphyll mini-biography at Wikipedia
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."