Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Menalippe was an Amazonian oracle and one of the two women who witnessed the bith of Darkseid's daugther.
On the same day Hippolyta's daugther was born, so was the child of Myrina, a birth she had foreseen but whose outcome she could not prophesy. As she delivered the newborn daughter, Menalippe received a vision of a terrible war between the infant's father and an Anti-God which will bring suffering and calamity to the entire universe.
Penelope tried to prevent such thing, but was no match for Myrina who decided to get rid of both her sisters to protect her child, resulting in the demise of both Amazons and Myrina's desertion as the first Amazon to abandon Themyscira.
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. Menalippe possesses the same potential powers as an average Amazon. These include:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as Menalippe stays on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Foresight: As an Oracle, Menalippe could foresee conflicts, calamities and events long before they happen with accurate precision. Sights of horrible wars seem to have a toll on her.
- Menalippe was created by Greg Potter and George Pérez, first appearing in Wonder Woman (Volume 2) #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Menalippe first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Divergence #1 by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok.
- This character is an adaptation of Melanippe, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- 1 Appearances of Menalippe (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Menalippe (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Menalippe (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Menalippe (Prime Earth)