- Hi, I'm Midnighter. I already know exactly how this story ends.
- -- Midnighter
Appearing in "Fait Accompli"
Synopsis for "Fait Accompli"
Midnighter tells to unseen viewers "Hi, I'm Midnighter. I already know exactly how this story ends." He is surrounded by several armed cyborgs as he tells them that he knows how he will escape, end their plot, and in the end "making love to my husband." The guards' leader, a industrialist named Olivia, tells Midnighter that he will not escape alive as they are (inside the 51st floor of the Burj Al Arab hotel) cloaked with a "digital shield" that kept Midnighter from contacting the Authority or escaping through a shift-door. Midnighter states he will and reveal that he knows that Olivia and the United Emirates planned on turning the world's oil into water and keeping the untainted stash for themselves to sell to the highest bidder. He takes down all ten of Olivia guards and spares Olivia's life. He attempts to leave the building to the roof after bypassing the building's traps. Before heading towards the roof he arms a miniature nuclear bomb to destroy the building. Upon arriving to the roof, he finds his helicopter destroyed and followed by Olivia and her three guards. Midnighter forewarns them from following them before jumping off the building. Olivia's guards follows him. Midnighter kills one of the guard during the freefall. The others instead hovers and allow the fall to kill him. As Midnighter is falling close the ground, he tries to call the Carrier for a shift-door. As it seems he is about to fell to his death, he instead lands through a now summoned Door and into the shuttle bay of the Carrier. In which Midnighter comments that he knew that was going to happen.
Midnighter finds Apollo building a large house of cards and presses a button which sets off an explosion that destroys the Burj Al Arab hotel, as seen on Earth from the Carrier. The story ends with Midnighter kissing Apollo as Apollo's house of cards comes crashing down around them.
- Midnighter #7 is written in reverse order. The last page is first and the first page is last. The meaning for this becomes clear slowly as the story is told (or immediately if read in the correct order).
- Fait accompli is a French phrase which means literally "an accomplished fact." It is commonly used to describe an action which is completed before those affected by it are in a position to query or reverse it. Perhaps the nearest English equivalent is a "done deal".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Midnighter Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Midnighter series
Links and References
- No external links.