Mikaal Tomas was a warrior who's people wanted nothing more than to conquer other planets. Mikaal's home-world was Talok III, sister planet to Talok VIII, the home of Shadow Lass. The inhabitants of his planet also have blue skin, but it is a much darker hue. Nonetheless he was of the same species, Talokite.
His lover, Lyysa, was killed when she showed sympathy and tried to warn the next planet set for conquest, Earth. Mikaal was soon sent to Earth to set in motion the plans for its capture. Disillusioned by Lyysa’s death, Mikaal quickly abandoned his race’s plans. He decided to stay and defend the people from any future invasions as Starman. After that he fell into a life of drugs and sex, which helped replace the rush he received from battle, until he was visited by Komak who informed him that their planet of Talok III had been destroyed. Komak then says that he was sent to Earth years ago, but like Mikaal he to had fallen due to the temptations on Earth. Komak revealed to Mikaal he was dying and wished to complete his missions and decided to kill him. After a long battle, Mikaal comes out the winner.
He later suffered amnesia and turned up in Opal City where he met other Starmen, Jack and Ted Knight. Originally, he wore a medallion containing a sonic crystal around his neck, however, the gem eventually became embedded in his chest, allowing him fire bolts of energy. 
Justice League: Cry for Justice
When Mikaal's boyfriend Tony was visiting his parents in New York, he was murdered by an assassin. When Mikaal finds out he was devastated and sot revenge against his partners murderer. On his search he encountered another hero Congorilla. The pair realised they had both lost someone close to them as Congorilla had just lost his friend Freedom Beast.  The duo traveled to Paris, where they found the two armored assassins who were the ones who murdered their loved ones.
Mikaal prevented Congorilla from crossing the line and killing his opponent during a battle with Prometheus's people. They questioned Arak Wind-Walker and Penny Dreadful with only Arak willing to tell them what he knew. Penny attacked Arak for this though Mikaal takes her down in short order. While they do get some useful intelligence the trail goes cold.  The pair meet up with Animal Man and asked him for help. He agreed to help them and three of them travel to the Justice League Watchtower, only to find the Justice League battling the criminal Prometheus. It was revealed during the battle that the Prometheus hired the assassins to kill Tony and Freedom Beast.  Mikaal and his friend however were defeated, and Prometheus escapes after destroying Star City. Mikaal and Congorilla later help Justice League search for survivors in the ruins of Star City. 
Mikaal later helped the Atom, where they were shrunken down and sent inside the Shade's brain. The two heroes freed Shade from Eclipso's control, allowing the Justice League to defeat him once and for all. 
On a mission to the extra dimensional world of Gemworld Mikaal was injured in battle and when he returned to Earth he resigned from the Justice League. However the whole team officially disbanded shortly after this anyway. 
Mikaal returned to his adopted home of Opal City, operating as a solo hero. Despite having left the Justice League, a conversation with the Shade implies that Mikaal was still close with fellow hero Congorilla. 
- Talokite Physiology: As a non-terrestrial being, Mikaal's body chemistry was different from that of a normal human, providing him with different physical attributes, such as the ability to exist in the vacuum of space longer than a normal human.
- Drug Addiction (formerly)
- Sonic Crystal: He possesses a sonic crystal which was embedded in his chest. The crystal grants limited superhuman abilities such as the power of flight and energy projection.
- Flight: Mikaal is capable of directional flight and levitation due to his fusion with the sonic crystal.
- Energy Projection: Mikaal can project concussive blasts of energy which he uses for offensive attack. Like the power of flight, this too is an extension of his bonding with the sonic crystal in his chest. Able to shoot multiple energy blasts at the same time. Also he is able to direct the energy blasts.
- Superhuman Strength
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Mikaal identifies himself as being gay, even though he has had sexual relationships women as well as men.
- 87 Appearances of Mikaal Tomas (New Earth)
- 14 Images featuring Mikaal Tomas (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mikaal Tomas (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mikaal Tomas (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
- ↑ 1st Issue Special #12
- ↑ Justice League: Cry for Justice Vol 1 1
- ↑ Justice League: Cry for Justice Vol 1 3
- ↑ Justice League: Cry for Justice Vol 1 5
- ↑ Justice League: Cry for Justice Vol 1 6
- ↑ Justice League of America Vol 2 55
- ↑ Justice League of America Vol 2 59
- ↑ Justice League of America Vol 2 60
- ↑ The Shade #1
- ↑ Starman/Congorilla #1
- ↑ Starman 80-Page Giant #1
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.