The Mist was the archenemy of Starman (Ted Knight), and their children got caught up in that feud.
A brilliant scientist, he invented a chemical to render people and objects invisible. He attempted to sell his invention to the United States Government during World War I, but he was not believed. He swore revenge by assisting the Axis powers during World War II by sending invisible agents to steal America's military secrets.
The Mist later sold his soul to the demon Neron in exchange for restoring his sanity. Ultimately, Mist grew tired of living and decided to commit suicide by detonating a nuclear weapon in Opal City at the moment of his death. However, he failed to destroy the city when Starman used his Gravity Rod to lift the building carrying the bomb and themselves into orbit. In his final moments, Mist made peace with Starman just before his heart stopped.
- Density Control: The Mist is a chemically altered human capable of altering his physical state and that of other objects into a gaseous form.
- Hypnosis: Able to hypnotically control those that came into contact with his vaporous state.
- Inviso-Solution: The Mist created a chemical which can make organic and inorganic materials invisible. A variation of the chemical allows the mist to transmit his voice from afar and hypnotise others.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 46 Appearances of Mist (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Mist (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Mist (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mist (New Earth)