The history of the character is unknown before he introduces himself to Superman in his most known form, although it is suggested that he visited the universe before in other forms.
According to one story, young Mxy was drawn to Earth and encountered Young Justice, years after his adult self first visited Superman. This Mxy was a serious student who was disbelieving of YJ's claims that he would go on to be a prankster for Earth's greatest hero. He vowed to never become that person. Unfortunately, this changed history so that the Earth was destroyed, so the boys had to indoctrinate Mxy with "Three Stooges" videos, changing him from the serious student to the silly prankster.  However, when Superboy encountered the adult Mxy after this adventure, he seemed to have no knowledge of their encounter.
Mxyzptlk first appeared on the Post-Crisis Earth in Metropolis posing as a dashing young man named Ben Deroy, who convinces Lois to marry him. Superman quickly learns that he's really an imp from the 5th dimension. The imp agrees to go home, undoing everything he has done magically, if Superman can get him to spell, type, or say his name backwards. He then proceeds to make up a name for himself on a giant typewriter, choosing "Mxyzptlk" as he figures it will be nearly impossible for Superman to accomplish. After putting up with Mxy's antics, Superman grabs the giant typewriter where Mxy left it and defiantly said that the imp could never type the name forwards. Mxy used his magic to type the same exact keys--but Superman had rewired the typewriter, so Mxy had to go home. After he was gone, some scientists theorized that he would not be able to return for 90 days.
On Mxy's next visit to Metropolis, he revealed that the "rules" to send him back would change each time. This time around, Superman had to get him to paint his face blue, which he eventually was able to do.
Mxyzptlk uses his new experience with lying the next time he visits Earth. He decides to force the Flash (Wally West) into a around the world race against Superman, promising to leave only if Superman wins. Flash wins the race, and Mxy reveals that secretly that was the real condition for his leaving.
Mxy did not only plague Superman in the DCU, but it was hinted at that he was also the character Impossible Man from the Marvel Universe. This was a joke when he is shown in another universe having fun with his four "fantastic" new friends, and that it was "impossible" for him to always remember what he looked like from one universe to the next.
As he was having so much fun in this "other" universe, Mxy decided he did not have the time to pester Superman, but wanted to give him a hard time anyway. He appears to Luthor, and gives him a lump of "red Kryptonite" which turns Superman into a human. Mxy said it will work so long as Luthor does not tell Superman. Superman enlists the help of Starman (Will Payton) to steal the rock from Luthor while posing as the Man of Steel. Mxy drops by to tell Luthor that "Superman" is really Starman before popping back out. The rock is useless to Superman, however, and as Clark Kent he angrily confronts Lex Luthor. Luthor brags that Mxy gave him the kryptonite, figuring that he can tell Clark and Clark can tell Superman without the "rules" being violated. Unfortunately for Luthor, this breaks the spell, and Superman is restored. Mxy shows up in Luthor's office, angry that Luthor told. Luthor accuses of Mxy of lying about the rules, thinking that Mxy must have "really" meant that if he told anyone the spell would fade. Superman interrupts them before they could piece together the truth, and Mxy gets Superman to punch him out so he can get back to the other dimension.
Superman ends up being just as blind to Luthor's secret as Luthor was to his. Mxy's next encounter puts "Lex Luthor II" into his old body and uses his lying ability to torment both Luthor and Superman. Superman manages to defeat him and send him home again.
Mxyzptlk's next encounter is minor, occurring during the "Dead Again" storyline. An enraged Superman becomes convinced that Mxy is responsible for a dead body in his image appearing his old tomb. Mxy turns up to confess that he is not responsible, but given how much turmoil Superman has been under, he won't heap on any more.
On his next visit, Mxy tried being "nice" by granting people's wishes--although the results of the wishes are disastrous: a woman who wishes her dough would rise faster results in it flooding out into the street; several people's desire to have a river view apartment cause their building to stand up and walk over to the river; and many, many people all win the lottery all at once. Mxy is distraught when he finds that Lois has broken off her engagement with Clark. He tries to put them back together, resorting to everything he knows how (such as putting Lois in danger, role reversal, a la Super-Lois, or giving them a pet or baby), but they all fail. He tells Superman that he never used his wish, so he can wish for Lois to get back together with him. Instead, Superman wishes Mxy would return home.
Mxyzptlk was therefore happy when Clark and Lois got back together. He showed up at the church in both his new, cutesy form and his classic form to wish Superman the best, promising a visit sooner or later.
Mxy's next visit is pretty harmless, however. He arrives during a funeral (for McGurk) and having no real understanding of mortal death, thinks the whole thing is rather hilarious. Superman (who was in his blue energy phase at the time) is not amused by Mxy's mocking the subject of death--so Mxy makes fun of Superman's new costume and powers instead. He then decides to learn about death and earn the admiration of the world by recreating Superman's battle with Doomsday only with himself fighting the creature (which is an extra spiney version of the real monster whom Mxy calls "Bada-Bing, Bada-Boomsday"). Unfortunately, the creature is a little too good, and it succeeds in actually killing Mxy. The imp ends up at the desk of the "supreme being," Mike Carlin, the editor for the Superman books at the time, who restores him to life in the comics. 
Mxyzptlk has returned to the DC New Earth dimension on several occasions after this revival event, but it is presently unclear if it is the same being or someone else merely using the same name. At present, it is not clarified if the present being is the same being who originally plagued Superman or even if it was always the same being in those past occasions. Though there have been some instances to clearly state that at least one instance was not the same being as his powers were completely different from the "true" Mxyzptlk during the Ruin saga (See notes below).
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Magic: This ability seems to be the core from which all of Mister Mxyzptlk's powers manifests from. With this ability, he can control earthly things like people and even other aliens mentally with his mind, and can cause levitation in objects including himself, just by thinking. Mister Mxyzptlk can also banish any organism and cause it to disappear at a mere thought.
- Creation: Utilizing his core ability, which is magic, Mxyzptlk can easily create entire worlds, realms, dimensions, loopholes, vortexes, wormholes, vacuums in space, and much more, making him an extremely powerful entity against Superman in the entire universe.
- Teleportation: Utilizing his core ability, which is magic, Mxyzptlk can disappear and reappear at a mere thought, capable of moving through time and space, and can appear anywhere in the entire universe. In one case, he was able to teleport Bizarro from his planet to Earth almost instantly just by snapping his fingers together, demonstrating a scope to this ability.
- Reality Warping: Utilizing his core ability, which is magic, Mxyzptlk can manipulate logic and the fundamentals of laws with ease, and is often seen doing so by making simple gestures or other motions. He can also reshape earthly objects and make them into something else entirely, as well as create structured lifeforms with full complexions that don't exist just by thinking, and in that regard, he can also make any living organism vanish and become non-existent at a single thought.
Effectively Infinite power for any effect that he chooses as he has converted living beings into living animated forms.
Mister Mxyzptlk has an irrational compulsion and attachments towards practical jokes and things of a prankish, immature nature. It has been demonstration that this is an aspect of Mxyzptlk's interaction with a three-dimensional reality such as the Earth-dimension. The more time he spends in the Earth dimension, the more prone he is to engage in puckish behavior.  Mxyzptlk's actions are also governed by restrictions that he establishes for himself. If Mxyzptlk decides that he will return to the 5th Dimension if someone convinces him to (for example) spell his name backwards, then he is obligated to comply with the regulation. Once banished, Mxyzptlk must remain in the 5th Dimension for a minimum of ninety days before returning to Earth.
- Mister Mxyzptlk is the name he adopts after he introduces himself to Superman and says that his real name would never translate to an Earth language 
- The official comic book pronounciation of his name is mix-yez-pittle-lik.
- 58 Appearances of Mister Mxyzptlk (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Mister Mxyzptlk (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Mister Mxyzptlk (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mister Mxyzptlk (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
- ↑ Young Justice #3
- ↑ Supergirl #76
- ↑ Superman #11
- ↑ The Adventures of Superman #441
- ↑ Superman #31
- ↑ The Adventures of Superman #463
- ↑ Superman #49
- ↑ Action Comics #659
- ↑ Superman #50
- ↑ The Adventures of Superman #496
- ↑ Action Comics #705
- ↑ Action Comics #721
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #56
- ↑ Superman: The Wedding Album #1
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #75
- ↑ Brave and the Bold v.3 #11
- ↑ Superman (Volume 2) #11
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."