Mur was a Kryptonian citizen from the city of Kandor. He was one of many who were trapped within the city ages ago when the cosmic villain Brainiac abducted Kandor and shrunk it in size for containment within his giant head ship. When Brainiac attempted to assimilate all knowledge from Earth, he was defeated by Superman and Kandor was restored to its proper size on Earth.
As a soldier, Mur followed the command of his superior officer Commander Gor, who in turn, facilitated the wishes of Kandorian leader Alura In-Ze. Alura had decided that those members of Earth's super-villain community who represented a threat to Superman, also represented a threat to all Kryptonians. She send Commander Gor and Mur to Stryker's Island Penitentiary to apprehend several known felons with historical ties to Superman. During the prison break, the Kandorian soldiers encountered members of the Metropolis Science Police, several of whom were killed during the fighting. Mur and his fellow soldiers were to blame for these deaths, and Superman promised that they would be held accountable. Mur returned to the sanctuary of New Krypton and Alura refused to hand them over to Earth authorities. The heroes of Earth thereby decided to take them by force and Mur and his fellow soldiers fought against members of the JLA and JSA. Mur remained on New Krypton however, and was present when Alura uprooted the city from the Earth where it took position on the opposite side of Earth's orbit.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Mur possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Mur's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Mur can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Mur's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Mur's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Mur can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Murs can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Mur can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Mur is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Mur is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Mur is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Mur's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Mur is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Mur is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Mur possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- 2 Appearances of Mur (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Mur (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Mur (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mur (New Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."