Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Nathaniel Adam volunteers to participate in an experiment conducted by a research facility called the Continuum. At this facility, Dr. Megala's research is focused on the quantum field and on "dimensional transfer through M Theory". Adam is asked to pilot the dimensional-transfer vessel but is seemingly atomized during the experiment. Soon afterwards, he reappears, now an energy-based life form. According to Dr. Megala, Captain Atom's abilities are largely nuclear in nature and involve tapping into the strong nuclear force, the energy that binds protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Adam's physical atoms are constantly splitting apart, giving him incredible power. His body maintains integrity by instantly re-merging these atoms, but extreme use of his powers can interfere with this process and cause Captain Atom's form to become unstable. This leads to a fear that at some point Captain Atom's brain might lose its molecular stability and he won't be able to fix it before it impairs his consciousness or causes him to suffer some form of brain death.
Nathaniel Adam has only been Captain Atom for a few months and is still exploring his abilities, constantly learning new facets to them such as his ability to perceive wireless transmissions from cell phones and computers. He frequently returns to the Continuum so that Dr. Megala and the staff can help him further understand his abilities and occasionally so they can stabilize his body when he seems to be having problems. The world at large looks on Captain Atom with suspicion due to uncertainty about his agenda and the nature of his abilities. Some fear that he is leaking radiation and potentially poisoning those he comes into contact with. Several have remarked that the Justice League may have rejected Captain Atom for membership due to suspicion of how dangerous he is. Despite this, Nathaniel chooses to try and use his powers to help others on Earth, clandestinely if need be.
- Captain Atom was created by Cary Bates, Pat Broderick, and Greg Weisman, first appearing in Captain Atom #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Captain Atom first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Captain Atom (Volume 2) #1 by J.T. Krul and Freddie E. Williams II.
- 24 Appearances of Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- 24 Images featuring Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- 8 Quotations by or about Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- ↑ Justice League: Futures End #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Captain Atom (Volume 2) #1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Captain Atom (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Captain Atom (Volume 2) #3
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #7
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #5
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #11
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #10
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #4
- ↑ Captain Atom (Volume 2) #9